Frequently Asked Questions

Can my ex make me pay for our child's college education? Would he/she have to pay as well?

Some states allow for "child support" to continue AFTER a "child" is 18 and even living away from home. This comes in the form of post-secondary support for college. This table shows which States permit post-secondary and post-majority support orders: Termination of Child Support and Support Beyond Majority.

Family courts have been inconsistent as to whether or not to require custodial parents to bear some of the financial burden and contribute to the post-secondary support for college. In many cases they have ruled that the custodial parent did not have to share the costs, or was allowed to pay a reduced amount compared to the non-custodial parent.