Frequently Asked Questions

I don't think I'm the father. I want a paternity test; can I ask the court to order the mother to take one?

You can ask the court to recognize and admit the results of your paternity test that excludes you as the father, but there is no guarantee that they'll do so. Under the current legal structure, paternity tests are used most often for the purposes of establishing child support. The courts, however, have been reluctant to invalidate support orders based on the same evidence once a support obligation has started.