SPARC Forums

Main Forums => Child Support Issues => Topic started by: almostastepmom on Sep 30, 2008, 02:11:42 PM

Title: Questions for change?
Post by: almostastepmom on Sep 30, 2008, 02:11:42 PM
Hi everyone,
  In light of my posting on fathers rights, I thought I would start a post with a very serious question that I hope all of you can help me out with.
If you didn't read my post, it is about a commitee in WA state that has been formed to change the way NCP's pay their child support.  More or less they are looking at every way possible to up the support and make the state and CP's more money.  It is going to very badly hurt all the NCP's that are barely making it now!

So my question is this: What kind of changes would you like to see in the child support area?  Is it they way it is figured out, should it be based on how much time you should actually get with the children, etc...

If you would take a minute and think back to when you had to go through it or are going through it now and think of what just doesn't make sense or what you would like to see changed, I would appreciate it a lot.  If there are people from WA state participating, go to their website and look at the issues they are considering, what would you like to see on there, what do you think about what they are trying to do?

I will be looking forward to reading all of your responses. Thank you!
Title: RE: Questions for change?
Post by: ocean on Sep 30, 2008, 06:38:01 PM
Here are my first 5 ....LOL

1. My state only looks at NCP's should be both parents.
2. Should input amount of time with NCP...including summer weeks
3. If BM does not allow a visit, no child support that week.
4. All states should have the same rules with percentages.
5. My state counts college and child support until 21...It should be 18 across the country.

Title: RE: Questions for change?
Post by: justiceleague on Oct 01, 2008, 06:42:24 AM
Since my children's father has never paid a dime on his order, and I know there are a gazillion parents out there like me, I would like to see measures for work enforcement.
if a parent owes child support, does not pay, is under employed or refuses to be employed, the judge should order parents into work programs like they do in Michigan.
I don't care if its picking up trash on the highway, they should be forced to do some type of work by a court order until they find a job on their own.
Title: RE: Questions for change?
Post by: knoot7 on Oct 02, 2008, 06:01:46 AM
I would like to see the same enforcement in child support for Mothers AND Fathers!

In New York if the NCP parent is not working, they are only required to pay $25 a month, especially if it is the mother who is the NCP and not working there is no enforcement.

I also would like to see fair evaluations and assessment of both homes.

I would LOVE to see Law Guaridans actually take the time to look out for the best interest of the child.

No matter how great the father is, no matter how much time he spends with their children, the mother always gets the sympathy ear even when it IS in the BEST INTEREST OF THE CHILD to be with the father.

What we thought was an open a shut case, turned out that the judge just looked at us like we were the bad guys taking the mothers time away. All we wanted was to try to to ensure that the chlid got to school consistently with a reasonable amount of travel time, had a bed to sleep in, was not around violence, and was healthy and happy. What we got - was she is going to try harder and keep it the same - despite the pattern we were able to provide substancial evidence for.
Title: RE: Questions for change?
Post by: reagantrooper on Oct 03, 2008, 11:04:21 AM
The formula needs to be changed to an expensed baseed formula. Along with this we need some kind a accounting of the CS dollars.

These two things would eliminate the sudo ADULT support that so many of our CS dollars go towards.

I for one am sick and tired of supporting an 45 year old ex wife that chosses to sit on her fat ass all day and watch Jerry while eating her Bon-Bons!

Then having to go out a buy my Child the stuff that she needs that should have been pruchased with the CS that I pay.

Less than 3 years and I will be done!
Title: RE: Questions for change?
Post by: InquiringMind on Oct 08, 2008, 07:59:06 PM
I just want to say that I stumbled onto this website by looking for a place to go to find who I would complain to about how child support guidelines can be so off base.  I am engaged to a father of two from a prior marriage and everytime they disagree on something, raising his child support gets thrown in his face.  We just got through court and his support went up $300 a month and he got more time with his children, because the amount he was paying before was agreed upon mutually outside of court.  Obviously when he asked to see his children more she took that as a free meal ticket.  Unbelievable!  How in the world can any father receive justice and be able to enjoy his time with his children when every cent of extra money he makes goes to a cheating ex-wife for child support????  WHERE IS THE JUSTICE?  

Anyway, sorry I blew up.  I needed to vent.  

Some things I would like to see change is that if the time between homes is equal or almost equal, the expenses should be treated the same way.  In our case, it is a 70/30 child support ratio with a 55/45 custody ratio.  How obsurd is that???  A father has just as much parental right as a mother, or they should anyway.  50/50 down the middle.  If the parties agree on anything different, then support arrangements should be made on that %.  Of course if one of the parents isn't fit to take care of the children, this wouldn't be pertinent.  

Just one quick question to close.  Can anyone tell me how to make a formal complaint against how the guidelines are currently set?

Title: Re: Questions for change?
Post by: MothersGetARawDealToo on Nov 10, 2008, 04:54:51 PM
I wish that they would do something different regarding self-employed individuals.  Why do they get to write off so much of their income?  For example, my ex pays $2000.00 per month in rent and pays $450/month for a car payment.  This is $29,400.00 in payments per year, yet the judge believes his signed declaration that he makes only $24,000.00 per year.  I'm in California, not sure what they do for the self-employed in Washington, but this definitely is an injustice!  Thanks