SPARC Forums

State Message Forums => Maryland State Forum => Topic started by: Brian Hess on Oct 10, 2005, 01:56:02 PM

Title: Getting a Divorce in Md any advice?
Post by: Brian Hess on Oct 10, 2005, 01:56:02 PM
My wife has made me leave the home, I want equal rights to my children and need any advice on how to receive fair an equal treatment in Maryland?
Title: RE: Getting a Divorce in Md any advice?
Post by: Liz on Jan 22, 2006, 06:57:37 PM
I wish you luck! I dont have any advice, other than make sure you have a good attorney.

Children need both parents.
Title: RE: Getting a Divorce in Md any advice?
Post by: b1798 on Mar 16, 2006, 11:22:00 AM
Best advice, ask for a lot and barter for more reasonable later.
Definately get a good lawyer and know that you can file for an emergency order to see your kids. Its a long journey, we started 18 months ago in Frederick County
Title: Questions
Post by: notnew on Mar 23, 2006, 06:40:23 AM
Why did you leave the home?

You don't need an attorney to file for emergency or Pendente Lite Hearing to get visitation for your children. Do it now.

You need to file for divorce immediately. The person who files first has advantadge. You can do this with or without an attorney.

Go to the circuit court web site for your county and there should be a link for family civil cases where you can find PDF forms to fill in and file yourself. Most courts have Pro-Se (representing yourself) offices that offer assistance in the procedural issues of moving through the court.

Don't wait a week, or another day. Do it now. DO NOT SETTLE FOR ANY AGREEMENTS YOU CANNOT LIVE WITH BECUASE YOUR SOON TO BE EX IS BEING DIFFICULT. If you have reasonable expectations about things, put them forth and if she won't agree, let the court do it for you. If you agree to something you really don't want now, it will most likely never get changed to anything better. Trust me, I know.

The courts are only concerned with three things. Marraige is a contract.

1. The reason for the divorce. MD is a fault state - one of you has to be at fault. In your case, if you did not commit adultery, domestic violence, etc., you should be able to file with her at fault for whatever she has done along with constructive abandonment.

2. Property - how the property will be divided. Get what you want out of the house now while you can. Later on, anything you didn't get will be gone forever.

3. Custody and visitation of the kids.

If the two of you can't work it out, the court will do it for you. Be careful of your lawyer if you opt to hire onw. Most are interested in making money for themselves. Conflict = more money.

Good Luck!