SPARC Forums

Main Forums => Father's Issues => Topic started by: zutalurs on Jan 31, 2006, 08:14:49 AM

Title: Mother moves
Post by: zutalurs on Jan 31, 2006, 08:14:49 AM
Quick question.  If the CP moves a significant distance away, 3 additional hours on top of an already 6 hour distance, does the exchange automatically move?
Right now, I pick my son up in his hometown.  It's a 6 hour drive for me to get him, and then 6 hours to bring him to my home.
Once she moves, it would be 9 hours to get him, and 9 hours to bring him home.
If she doesn't submit a change in the Parenting Plan to the court, does the exchange location automatically move to her new home, or will she have to at least meet me at the old exchange location?
Title: RE: Mother moves
Post by: reellis527 on Jan 31, 2006, 08:34:54 AM
I would think she has to at least meet you at the old exchange location.  If it goes back to court, I would ask the judge to order her to pay your gasoline expenses since she decided to move farther away.
Title: It it's in the CO, she has to go by that
Post by: BelleMere on Jan 31, 2006, 09:18:50 AM
also, usually the moving parent bares the burden of transportation. Of course, this is a pain for you bec. she can just withhold the child, I guess. One thing you could offer is that you will pick up the child closer to her house, but then she has to also pick up closer to your house to get him back. That's a heck of a drive - I admire you for doing it. One thing to think about is whether there are any other visitation adjustments you might consider - say, longer but fewer visits with you?
Title: RE: Mother moves
Post by: wendl on Jan 31, 2006, 04:48:15 PM
Depends on what the court order states, I would take it back to court and have it changed to a 1/2 way point due to her move.

Did she file an intent to relocate the children prior to moving, if not file contempt and request she provide the transportation.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**
Title: RE: It it's in the CO, she has to go by that
Post by: rltfox on Feb 01, 2006, 11:57:05 AM
>usually the moving parent bares the burden of

Is this the normal arrangement for all move-aways or just out-of-state?  What about a distance of 2-1/2 hours in-state?  Thanks.
Title: For us the drive is also 2+ hrs....
Post by: smtotwo on Feb 03, 2006, 09:58:49 AM
When we went to court because the ex refused to meet 1/2 way or bringthe children and also refused to tell us where she lived the judge ordered

We pick up at her house and she must tell us where she lives  and she pick up at our house.

She has tried to keep the kids by saying that if we pick up we also have to return them, but we just counter with the court order and if she can't pick up when shes supposed to they stay here till she gets here.
Title: RE: Mother moves
Post by: Kboeds on Feb 04, 2006, 08:39:24 PM
It is my understanding the moving parent has the burden of transportation, of course my experience with this is an out of state situation.

However, when DD wanted to go live with BF in 2004 and we had the custody papers done, I had reason to believe he was planning to move with my DD. I had a clause placed in the papers that state he has to give me at least 60 days notice of any move and if he moves more then 100  miles from his or surrounding counties he will be 100% responsible for the cost of getting DD to my for visitation.

If you don't already have a statement to that affect, you should get one. Basically, BF doesn't even have to be 2 hours away before he is further then stated in our order. We are currently about 20 miles from each other, he doesn't have to leave the state.