SPARC Forums

Main Forums => General Issues => Topic started by: aperson on Oct 06, 2014, 07:55:53 PM

Title: CPS in Kentucky
Post by: aperson on Oct 06, 2014, 07:55:53 PM
I am seeking information for Son.  It is a very long story and I have been reading steadily for 3 weeks, here and on I would like to know if copies of CPS notes can be obtained.  He has lived apart from wife for 4 years.  Children were removed from wife for neglect (2nd arrest).  They were taken to Son's home and the next day sent to maternal grandmother where they have remained a year.

 CPS did not give him any reason as to why. He worked with social worker and for awhile it looked liked he was going to get his children. Worker never did a home visit to his home with his children present, though it was stated they would. I will add that this is the second worker. The first worker was fired for not doing her job.

 Court was Oct 26.  I drove to KY to be with him. Proceedings were over before we even entered the courtroom.  They are 'working with wife' to have her regain custody.  Son was never given any paper work.  Can he receive a review of what happen, why the change in the direction toward wife?

I would be happy to supply you with the whole long story if that would help in answering my question.   Thank you
Title: Re: CPS in Kentucky
Post by: ocean on Oct 07, 2014, 04:59:01 AM
Family court is very mother biased. Has he petitioned family court for temp custody? Sounds like court was a CPS case against mother and father was not part of it?
Title: Re: CPS in Kentucky
Post by: MixedBag on Oct 07, 2014, 05:51:53 AM
My personal experience with CPS dates waaaaaay back -- but in our case, we quickly learned that reuniting with the custodial parent is their goal.

Have a friend right now -- same thing -- only the custodial parent is the father -- so I'll disagree with Ocean respectfully on that part.

I know that I got a copy of notes -- not that I believe it was everything -- but I wrote and via a certified letter and it took a while, but I got them.
Title: Re: CPS in Kentucky
Post by: aperson on Oct 07, 2014, 07:55:19 AM
Thank you for the response.  You are correct in that Son is NCP.  As stated before the story is long.  There is a 'team meeting' set for Oct 9. This meeting is between wife, current live in boyfriend of which she has 2 children with, wife's mother who currently has children and Son.  They are will conference Son in via Skype as he lives in another country.  They did not afford him the curiosity of transportation for him to office as they have done for wife  and the other parties. Son does not have a car. My feeling is that meeting will only consist of this is what is decided so Son you have no choice (as in what happened in court on Oct 25th)Needless to say he is scared he will not see his children again- wifes mom told children she wants them to bring all toys they have at his house to her home. I told him that was probably a scare tactic. Son refused. Son has awakened from much abuse and depression and is currently seeking counsel. Not easy.

First can he ask for a transcript of the meeting or an audio?  Second, in sending certified letter can you or someone give an idea of what should be stated in the letter?

I plan to post long story as soon as I can write it without my emotions and hatred being involved. Again , thank you.
Title: Re: CPS in Kentucky
Post by: MixedBag on Oct 07, 2014, 08:10:08 AM
given that information -- I wonder if son could ask CPS to allow you to be present too -- just for the sake of representing him in person? 

Not sure if meetings like this are recorded (like in a court hearing).

can he record it himself since he's skyping in?  (I know Skype has been around for a while, but I've never used it and stuff).
Title: Re: CPS in Kentucky
Post by: aperson on Oct 07, 2014, 09:35:58 AM
Unfortunately I cannot afford another trip to Kentucky. Husband and I are both retired. Husbands health prevents him from traveling.  Since we are not considered 'part of their case' we couldn't be in on the conference. I will ask Son about recording . It is my understanding that in KY he would need consent from other party.

Title: Re: CPS in Kentucky
Post by: ocean on Oct 07, 2014, 02:25:46 PM
How far away is son? If he lives in another county with no car then that was held against him but father rights are supposed to more than grandparents.

Does son have a court order for visitation? If son wants to change his orders, he needs to file in family court to modify his orders as mother is not able to take care of him. (This should have been done months ago and he would need to prove he could take care of them- car, job to feed them, beds to sleep). In family court, CPS will be represented as part of his case and say why they placed with grandparents and judge can modify order. CPS has a lot of power and their job is the open case they have open against mother and helping mom regain custody.

Are kids school age, also comes into play. How far is grandma from mom?

In writing, email the social worker at CPS in charge, and have him ask for more time with the kids. Have him give times he is available to be with them (again transportation issue but that is for your son to figure out).