SPARC Forums

Main Forums => Second Families => Topic started by: 4honor on Jun 27, 2006, 07:55:23 PM

Title: DH just lost his job
Post by: 4honor on Jun 27, 2006, 07:55:23 PM
So we filed for unemployment

and we are working on the paperwork to downward modify the CS order and take into consideration the increased costs for visitation at the same time.

Has anyone had any luck in getting a child determined disabled for severe PTSD? Cause DS1 is in dire straits, though the counselor says there is nothing more she can do fro him until about puberty.

And I am on day 4 of a migraine. Gotta love it.

On the other hand, I have made about $1600 dollars at my home based business this month (first time in a long time) and we just refinanced teh house and paid off alot of bills (completed two weeks ago) so I know we will be OK - though things will get tight.
Title: RE: DH just lost his job
Post by: Sunshine1 on Jun 28, 2006, 03:55:07 PM
As a matter of fact I believe you can get him declared disabled.  My son is declared disabled but you need to see someone that can do that for you.

It was a long time ago, but I believe that your Dr or therapist or someone from MA has to do it.  I will look at my paperwork and see who actually did it for us.  It was someone from children and family services in our county.

Here is the link to SSA for the requirements and the text if it didn't work

 Child Disability Starter Kit - Factsheet
What You Should Know When You Apply for SSI Disability Benefits for Your Child
Children from birth up to age 18 may get Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. They must be disabled and they must have little or no income and resources. Here are answers to some questions people ask about applying for SSI for children.

How does Social Security decide if a child is disabled?
Social Security has a strict definition of disability for children.

The child must have a physical or mental condition(s) that very seriously limits his or her activities; and
The condition(s) must have lasted, or be expected to last, at least 1 year or result in death.
A state agency makes the disability decision. They review the information you give us. They will also ask for information from medical and school sources and other people who know about the child.

If the state agency needs more information, they will arrange an examination or test for the child, which we will pay for.

How can I get ready for the disability interview?
Review this disability starter kit. It includes a checklist and a worksheet to help you gather the information you need. Have this information with you at the time of the interview.
If you have access to the Internet, you can complete an online Child Disability Report at
For more information, visit our website at or call toll-free 1-800-772-1213 (for the deaf or hard of hearing, call TTY 1-800-325-0778).
How does Social Security decide if a child can get SSI?
Children can get SSI if they meet Social Security’s definition of disability for children and if they have little or no income and resources. We also consider the family’s household income, resources and other personal information.

How will I know what Social Security has decided?
We will send you a letter. It can take 3 to 5 months to decide a child’s SSI disability claim. Let us know if your address or telephone number changes so that we can get in touch with you.

Will my personnal information be kept safe?
Yes. Social Security protects the privacy of those we serve. As a federal agency, we are required by the Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. 522a) to protect the information we get from you.

What if I am more comfortable speaking in a language other than English?
We provide free interpreter services to help you conduct your Social Security business.

Other Important Information
SSI is not a medical assistance program. Your state Medicaid agency, local health department, social services office or hospital can help you find your nearest health care agencies. Your Social Security office can also help you find health care agencies.

Medicaid is a health care program for people with low incomes and limited assets. In most states, children who get SSI benefits can also get Medicaid. Even if your child cannot get SSI, he or she may be able to get Medicaid. Your state Medicaid agency, your local Social Security office or your state or county social services office can give you more information.

State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP)
Children may be able to get health insurance from SCHIP even if they do not get SSI. SCHIP provides health insurance to children from working families with incomes too high to get Medicaid, but who cannot afford private health insurance. SCHIP provides insurance for prescription drugs and for vision, hearing and mental health services in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Your state Medicaid agency can provide more information about SCHIP. You can also go to or call toll free 1-877-KIDS-NOW (1-877-543-7669) for more information on your state’s program.

Other Health Care Services
If the child is under age 16 and we decide he or she is disabled and can get SSI, we will refer him or her to your state children’s agencies for social, developmental, educational and medical services. Even if the child cannot get SSI, these state agencies may be able to help him or her.

Work Opportunities for Young People Who are Getting SSI
Many young people who get SSI disability benefits want to work. The following information may be helpful.

We do not count most of a child’s earnings when we figure the SSI payment. We count even less of a child’s earnings if the child is a student.
We subtract the cost of certain items and services that a child needs to work from his or her earnings in figuring the SSI payment.
If a child is age 15 or older, he or she can establish a Plan to Achieve Self-Support (PASS). With a PASS, a child can set aside income for a work goal. We will not count this income when we figure the SSI payment.
A child’s Medicaid coverage can continue even if his or her earnings are high enough to stop SSI payment, as long as the earnings are under a certain amount.
Social Security has two programs that can assist young people who get SSI disability benefits and want to go to work:

Benefits Planning, Assistance and Outreach (BPAO) program, and
Protection and Advocacy for Beneficiaries of Social Security (PABSS) program.
Your local Social Security office can provide more information about these programs. You can also find more information on our Work website,

Title: RE: DH just lost his job
Post by: dipper on Jun 28, 2006, 05:52:42 PM
Sorry about the recent events, though it sounds as if you and dh have gotten a tight grip on everything.  So glad your online store is doing so well!!!

Title: RE: DH just lost his job
Post by: 4honor on Jun 28, 2006, 08:47:04 PM
Not from the Online store...

From independent insurance adjusting.There have been alot of stupid soldiers lately ruining their stuff an their quarters. I am hired to run all over Fort Lewis and look at fire/theft/water/dog bites losses. $69 an hour aint too shabby. Too bad it aint full time yet.

Though I would not balk at a few more sales at my online store.

message me if you wanna look at some crystal and gemstone jewelry.
Title: RE: DH just lost his job
Post by: dipper on Jun 29, 2006, 01:22:24 PM
You work part time and made $1600 in a!  That is really good.

I had checked out your jewelry and it is beautiful....unique, but I dont have any extra money.  Working three jobs here myself.....I am so tired....
Title: RE: DH just lost his job
Post by: vanessam on Aug 04, 2008, 11:59:57 PM
It is an unfortunate situation to be in. However, you need to be positive at this crucial time. "When the going gets tough, the tough get going".  So, try something innovative, take the help of your pals, and never ever lose hope. Wish you all the best!
Title: RE: DH just lost his job
Post by: joeysm8 on Aug 12, 2008, 04:03:04 AM
Maybe, some guys would feel bad and try to fix it and some guys would just feel sorry for themselves and stew in resentment.don't be so certain that you know the situation of all of his peers. These are tough times for a lot of people. Anyhow, it doesn't matter what other people have, you have what you have. Try to be supportive. And consider going back to work.



Title: RE: DH just lost his job - UPDATE
Post by: 4honor on Oct 12, 2008, 10:29:37 AM
Actually, that situation is FROM 2006. And I worked 2 jobs.

We both sought work and the first one to get a job was the breadwinner and the other was the SAH parent. I got the job and he stayed home with the boys.

But DH felt bad that I had to shoulder the responsibility to pay his CS on his son -- the same kid who repeatedly raped our boys -- that DH joined the Army National Guard.

He was activated in August 2008 and he goes to Iraq this week.

SS finished his treatment - by the skin of his teeth early this year. He might even graduate on time next year, but he is ready to get his GED if he is unable to finish on time. The CS train end is in sight.

DS1 and DS2 are doing so much better, as G'pa and G'ma have stepped up to help.

In the midst of all this, I have to prepare my house for sale, as the company I work for is relocating me... before DH gets home from his military service.

I have received the biggest blessing ever, though: I hear NOTHING from BM. She does not call and screech about SS. She does not call and disparage DH. She was even grateful when I sent new medical insurance information for the change in medical coverage as soon as I knew about it -- something I have always done.

Things may look bleak from the outside, but we trust that since God brought us to this, He will bring us through it.
Title: RE: DH just lost his job - UPDATE
Post by: Davy on Oct 16, 2008, 04:17:35 PM

and you both can be certain that ALL is looking up !!  DH will safely return... the time will pass quickly while you're holding down the fort.

Best to your entire family and please update us frequently.