Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - mag

Pages: 1
Moms Without Custody / NCP moving out of state
« on: Feb 19, 2007, 09:39:03 PM »
My ex and I have joint custody (45/55 in his favor) and are both active duty (AD) military in California, where our divorce occurred.  In July I am leaving AD and moving back to VA, where both his and my parents reside.  I'd like to take our son with me, and here are my reasons:

* Moving to VA puts our son extremely close to his extended family on both sides.

* I already have a job with a daycare, so our son could spend a significant amount of time with me, even while I am working.

* Since the ex is remaining AD, and plans on staying in for the next 14+ years, I will be able to provide our son with the homestead, stable environment that his father will not.  Also, AD means possible deployments, and he narrowly escaped this last one.

* Additionally, although the visitation order only grants me 45%, I have been logging hours since October, and I have had anywhere from 53 to 61% of the time with him, due to the father's work schedule.

I know that generally the courts don't like to change up custody once it's established, but do I have a decent shot here?  Will I need to hire a lawyer?  The last custody proceedings were file, mediate, support hearing, and all the lawyer did was stand and say that I was there.  How much different will this be?  Also, the divorce decree does not restrict me or the ex from moving out of state, only from changing our son's residence w/o the other's consent or a court order.

Pages: 1
Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.