Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 07:01:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Travel outside of the US

Started by Ref, Dec 06, 2006, 07:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ref

There are no restrictions on the parenting agreement. Joint legal custody. DD has a valid passport. Our plans are to take DD to Canada this summer while in my custody.

Admittedly, this is question came up because I was watching Judge Judy yesterday and there was a case the NC took the 17 yo DD to Mexico and was arrested for kidnapping . Charges were dropped but JJ said it was an agreement between Mexico and US that a parent needs explicit written approval to take the child to Mexico by the other parent.

1. Do I need written approval from BM to go to Canada with my daughter?

Ref

socrateaser

>1. Do I need written approval from BM to go to Canada with my
>daughter?

I dunno. You'll need to talk to the Canada authorities. From the U.S. viewpoint, if you have a valid passport, you can travel abroad.

mistoffolees

I'm just curious if you've heard anything about that claim that Mexico requires a signed agreement. That's the first I ever heard of it but if it's true, it might affect a lot of people.

socrateaser

>I'm just curious if you've heard anything about that claim
>that Mexico requires a signed agreement. That's the first I
>ever heard of it but if it's true, it might affect a lot of
>people.

Never heard of it. Was in Cabo July 06, and I didn't see any kids being stopped for lack of some extra documentation. But a U.S. Passport is mandatory.

sdbleve

Ref and Soc,

I get asked this question a lot at work. Certain countries require a notorized letter from the absent parent if a child is traveling with only one parent. This is because of the problems with international child abduction. It varies from country to country. A traveler can be asked for this letter while traveling to Mexico (but it does not always happen).

I took my kids to the UK this year, and the only question I was asked was when we intended to leave, and did we have money (to spend I imagine).

Here is a link that has a lot of good questions and answers regarding this matter:

http://travelwithkids.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=travelwithkids&cdn=travel&tm=99&gps=295_1220_1020_642&f=00&su=p549.6.140.ip_p531.19.152.ip_p532.6.150.ip_p284.2.420.ip_p531.17.420.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.singleparenttravel.net/Writing/Documentation/

mistoffolees

Thanks. That's very helpful - since I plan to take my daughter to England and either Rome or Athens with me this summer.

You might have just saved me a world of trouble.