Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 06:56:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Imputed Child Support

Started by jenjen, Jan 03, 2007, 01:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jenjen

state of florida

Hello socrateaser,

I'm trying to impute an amount for a child support guide lines worksheet
based on minimum wage.

question:

1. how do I determine how much taxes are taken out and what taxes?

2. is there some sort of calculations sheet to do this based on an individuals marital status and income?  

socrateaser

I have no idea how to calc FL support. Sorry.

mistoffolees

This is not a legal answer and you'd need to see a lawyer to be certain.

I can only tell you what we did in my case (OK). We gave the salary numbers to my HR department at work and said: "at this salary level with x deductions, what would be the takehome pay?" (at minimum wage, there probably won't be much, if any federal or state income tax taken out, so it's mostly social security and medicare coming out and these are a fixed percentage of income). It was very easy for them to give me a weekly amount based on minimum wage income. A temporary employment agency could probably get you numbers in the same way.

I have no idea of whether this would have held up in court, but I felt that it was reasonable and my attorney said it was close enough for the purposes (because we expected that my stbx would have actual pay stubs before it was all over, anyway).

Good luck.

sunnyin_fl

For an estimated total...you can always go under paycheckcity.com and navigate through their site.

They have every state listed and you can actually add deductions to it, for insurance, benefits and the such.

I used it to get an average of income based upon overtime since checks were different each week.  My attorney now has his asst. use it in time crunches.

catherine

There are many free calculators online.  If you know the net pay, you can do it on that.  http://www.alllaw.com/calculators/Childsupport/florida/

(I don't work for that site or anything or guarentee it's accuracy!)

You can see how FL child support is calculated by looking at the FL Statutes:  http://www.flcourts.org/gen_public/family/forms_rules/index.shtml

Ref

Of course you don't have access to all the information you need to get exact numbers, but this might help.

For 2006 you could calculate the annual minimum wage at $6.67/hr (Florida minimum wage) by multiplying by 40 days and 50 or 52 weeks. $6.67*40*50

You would deduct $3,300 for the personal exemption for the person and $3,300 for each person they can claim as a dependent.

If they are single or married you would deduct $5,150. If they are head of household (like most "single" parents) you would deduct $7,550 instead. This is for the standard deduction.

After you get to the annual salary and subtract the personal exemptions and the standard deduction and you will have you taxable income.

If the person is single or married, you can multiply by 10% if the number is under $7,550 and if it is more you take the amount that it is over and multiply by 15%

If the person is head of household multiply 10% up to $10,750. If it is over multiply the remained by 15% and add it to the $1,075.

That is a rough way to figure out the amount of tax a person may have to pay for federal. In this case, another tax they will deal with is FICA and that you take the annual pay and multiply by 7.65%.

Florida has no state income tax, so you can skip the state all together.

Now that is all for taxes. You also have to think about who pays for the health insurance and daycare for the child. This is also included in the calculation. Below is a link to a good simple calculator.

This is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as tax advice.

http://www.alllaw.com/calculators/Childsupport/florida/

Good luck
Ref

jenjen

state of florida

Hello socrateaser,

I'm trying to impute an amount for a child support guide lines worksheet
based on minimum wage.

question:

1. how do I determine how much taxes are taken out and what taxes?

2. is there some sort of calculations sheet to do this based on an individuals marital status and income?  

socrateaser

I have no idea how to calc FL support. Sorry.

mistoffolees

This is not a legal answer and you'd need to see a lawyer to be certain.

I can only tell you what we did in my case (OK). We gave the salary numbers to my HR department at work and said: "at this salary level with x deductions, what would be the takehome pay?" (at minimum wage, there probably won't be much, if any federal or state income tax taken out, so it's mostly social security and medicare coming out and these are a fixed percentage of income). It was very easy for them to give me a weekly amount based on minimum wage income. A temporary employment agency could probably get you numbers in the same way.

I have no idea of whether this would have held up in court, but I felt that it was reasonable and my attorney said it was close enough for the purposes (because we expected that my stbx would have actual pay stubs before it was all over, anyway).

Good luck.

sunnyin_fl

For an estimated total...you can always go under paycheckcity.com and navigate through their site.

They have every state listed and you can actually add deductions to it, for insurance, benefits and the such.

I used it to get an average of income based upon overtime since checks were different each week.  My attorney now has his asst. use it in time crunches.