Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 12:54:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Home school

Started by allajody, Feb 21, 2007, 03:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allajody

State is CA, we have Joint Legal, she has sole physical custody.  Ex wife has just sent me a letter stating that she has take our children out of the public school system and started home schooling them.  She has also already decided that our children will need summer school????

My ex and I have been going to court for well over 7 years (on again off again.)

1.) Is there anything I can do in order to ensure our children are receiving a proper education?(we live 3 1/2 hrs apart)
   2.) Is there anyway I could get equal (e.o.week) parenting time, and teach them from the same curriculum?

Thank you

socrateaser

>My ex and I have been going to court for well over 7 years (on
>again off again.)
>
>   1.) Is there anything I can do in order to ensure our
>children are receiving a proper education?(we live 3 1/2 hrs
>apart)

You could move for clarification and ask the court to appoint a GAL to investigate to see why the child is being taken out of school. Maybe the child's performance sucks and the CP is responsible. Or maybe the school sucks and the CP thinks he/she can do better at home. Some parents have experience and knowledge to make a good home school teacher, and others are practically guaranteed to impair their children's learning.

I have been amazed in the past, for example, that a parent suddenly thinks he/she can teach intermediate algebra to his/her child at home, when he/she can't do the problems him/herself.

>   2.) Is there anyway I could get equal (e.o.week) parenting
>time, and teach them from the same curriculum?

Not unless you can get primary custody. Court is not going to let the children be driving 7 hours to facilitate a learning situation outside of public school. More likely the court will just order the children back to public school.

Caveat: if the other parent were to agree to your proposal, then the court would have nothing to say about it. But, this doesn't seem likely from your posted facts.