Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 24, 2024, 08:05:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What is the Judge Thinking???

Started by mikezz, Nov 26, 2004, 08:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikezz

Hi to all. This is my first post. To make a long story short, I am seperated with my X. She was arrested for asault on me in July. I took my son, flew to Calif. where my family is. I file for a restraining order in Califonia for the incident that just happened.
4 days down the road, X is asking me to come back and reconcile. She says and even wrote a beautiful email wanting to get back together and go to counseling.....etc...
I decide to believe her and go back to houston. After three days back in houston, she says she is going to visit a friend with the baby. I get served witha protective order. I had to move out and couldn't see my son until we went to court 2 weeks later.

Wish I would have read the "reconiliation post" back then.

anyhow,

Judge gave me 3 nights a week on our first hearing. Denied protective order X was trying to get granted. JMC

Next was mediation. X fired first lawyer, and had a new one for mediation. One that is board certified at 300 per hour. X would not agree to anything at mediation.

Next hearing for trial. X wants Protective order looked at again.
She got a "sugardaddy" from her strip club job to pay for her legal fees as well as her friends to come to court and bash my personalities as a dad, saying things like I never change diapers, I give my son alcohol, and that I abuse my child.

Anyhow, the judge said no to the protective order, joint managing custody was awarded, but my 3 nights a week with my son went to standard visitation. He also told my X that I would not be obliged to pay any child support.

My X told the judge that she is going to get a real job, and put my son in DayCare but she didn't want my son to go to the DayCare that I the father worked at. He granted her the choice to pick the DayCare center. But that I didn't have to help pay for it, yet.

First, I don't believe DayCares are the best for children (toddlers). However in the circumstances that a parent works at a daycare (father), it's better than putting our son in a daycare with a stranger, which is what my X prefers to do. (Clearly not in the best interest of the child).

Second, through a deposition on her, I found out stuff she never told me (for 2 years), my X has no high school diploma or GED, had 4 lesbian relationships, a swinger, suicidal behavior (3 slit marks on her wrist) due to 3 abortions and admitted to trying many drugs in her life before me. She was raised in a broken family, has worked in strip clubs all her life, and was arrested for assault on me, yet judge still gave her (in so many words, primary custody) I hate it. Why are fathers discriminated against.

Its been 4 months since we split up, and my X has since a new boyfriend, and guess what, my lawyers did a background check on him, and he has been convicted of 2 felonies for narrcotics. Go figure.

The judge has made his decisions solely on the testimonies of her stripper friends. Of course, she knew she could get away with this because I being from California, had no friends to stick up for me here in houston. tha's life I guess.

Its seems on paper, the odds were good on my side, but I can't believe what has happened.
Judge has ordered both of us to see a custody evaluator. I can't afford it anymore. My lawyer says if I go to trial, I will win and he is sure the psychologist will have negatives to say about X's life after an evaluation.
I can't pay anymore, I am toying with going to see the judge without an attorney now. Is this a bad move. What if its my only move? My strategy is to claim that X could have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Post Abortion Syndrome that she is hiding now, but with the stats and research done, my son could be a victim of child abuse due to her past. An post abortive mother is either neglective or over protective. She happens to be the overprotective kind. I am so lost now.

I feel I don't need a lawyer now that we are headed for a Jury Trial. Or atleast I think we are. We have a hearing on DEC 15 which I have no idea what for. What can I bring to court that day? Oh, and can I (on my day off) go to the court house and hand the judge a folder with my pleadings and concerns.? (post abortion articles,stats, and daycare stats and articles) or is this frowned upon??? Can I go it alone in a Jury trial.? sorry about the mass confusion to everyone.

wendl

Personally I wouldn't go without an attorney, and make sure you get a good one. Many cp's will lie and the stand and be caught in the lie (oh and no big deal they don't get slapped for it).

If she has an attorney they will say many many things about you true or not, it happened to us.

Beg barrow any money you can to get yourself a good attorney.

ALSO ask for 1st right of refusal, meaing anytime mom is at work you get the 1st opportunity over anyone else to care for your child while the mom is at work.

Many of the courts are still bias towards men as being the primary care takers of their chidlren (it is slowly getting better)

Document everything, and keep a journal. Keep track of all the times you see your child and all the times you are denied (if she denies you)

Educate yourself on the laws in your state.

Others will give you more advice from here as well.

Except the worste pray for the best.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**

MYSONSDAD

Get the best attorney you can find who handles Family Law. Many will take a retainer and you can make payments. Do what you have to do. Best to give it your all right now.

"Children learn what they live"

kitten

Give it your all RIGHT NOW!  Beg and borrow!  

mikezz

guys, I've got an attorney with 16 thousand already spent and 11 thousand outstanding left to pay.  I'm on the verge of being dropped by my attorney.  Need encouragement on doing it alone.  I've begged for money already.  That route has been supported by family but is not available anymore.  stop telling me to get a lawyer.  I've had one for 3 months at 250 dollars per hour.

jilly

Then be prepared to have your ass handed to you when you go to Court.

kitten

or get a new lawyer with what you have left.  You came here for help...

wendl

well we hate to keep saying to get an attorney but many of us have seen what happens when one doesn't have one.

When looking for an attorney it is always best to interview more than one, also it is good to see them in action in court.

We found an atty that took a low retainer and monthly payment, yes their are some out their.

Max out credit cards if you must.
If you have no more money resoursed then you really need to educate yourself on the laws and proper filing that must be done.  Some here have done this without and attorney, but for trials it is best to have one or the other attorney will eat you alive.

So in short, figure out your next action, them come here to have others help you with the proper proceedures for filing proper paperwork, When filing evidence their is a specific proceedure in doing this, if it is not
following your evidence will not be submitted and looked at in trial.

HERE is a prime example, my dh had a attorney, his paralegal did a ton of work for our attorney, in Dec we gave the paralegal our witness list, WELL unfornunately our paralegal passed away in a freak accident, the attorney did not know where the paralegal put our witness list, so it was filed LATE, so when trial came the judge would NOT allow a few of our witness to testify (the most imporant witnesses) because she said she didn't know about them and she was unable to contact them prior to trial (her atty didn't try very hard) so that hurt my dh's case.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**

mikezz

well atleast my son will know someday that I was fighting for him myself and not some lawyer who is only interested in his pocketbook.

mikezz

Im maxed out in every possible avenue.

And as for Jury trial, isn't that about convincing the jury that I am the better parent presently and potentially for the future?  I have a deposition that is almost 300 pages to make many notes on and questions.  There are many diff. subjects to pull from this deposition.  AS for me, there couln't be anything to pull up on.  I have no drug history, no record (1 parking ticket), never been arrested, ...etc...

I guess the only thing for her side to do is keep throwing the false allegations towards me, however if after all the witnesses she brought up there 3 weeks ago and with the allegations put on me didn't impress him then, I can't believe that he will take anymore "stupid" allegations from her side.  Plus, if the judge really believed her, I should be in Jail, protective order, supervised visitation and who knows what else.  But I'm not.  thank God.

I feel so strongly on doing this on my own.  I'm fearless and feel the jury would have to see the facts.  

My x brought a picture to court 3 weeks ago of my son with a scratch on his face.  She didn't claim it was child abuse, but she says I was not watching the child.

I, want to bring in 3 pictures of aborted fetuses and tell her that 1000 scratches on my son today would never amount to 3 dead (aborted) children.  That ms. X is child abuse.  I'm so getting off the subject. sorry

Did I mention that she also has 3 slit marks (scars) on her wrist?  Oh, and I only found out about the abortions through the deposition I did on her.