Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 24, 2024, 03:37:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mother is relocating

Started by crayiii, Aug 07, 2007, 06:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crayiii

Divorce has been settled for about 2 years and my parenting time with our 8-year old son has been wonderful.  She lives in Washington state, I live in Oregon.  I buy 18 plane ticket per year and she buys 6.

She just called and told me that she was mailing notification that they are moving to Nevada in a couple weeks.  She told me she knew she isn't giving me the proper notice but hopes that we can make it work.  

The current ticket cost for me is $130 each ticket.  The new cost is $261.  I asked if there was any way she could pick up some addition tickets.  She said their finances won't allow it.

Our salaries are about this Me: 80% her:20%

The added cost is a big hit for me financially.

I know I can object to the move and it will cause them to postpone the move and I will get a hearing but I'm pretty sure the court isn't going to stop them from moving.  Her husband's job is relocating him.  Maybe if I lived in the same town but not since he's already traveling to be with me.

What are my options?

Should I just dig deeper in my pocket and get the $$?

Should I propose me getting her years for claiming him on taxes?

We had a pretty nasty 2+ year divorce fight and we are just now on speaking terms, I don't want to go back to lawyers..

ocean

Hi! I remember your story!
Can you get longer visits and shorten the trips? What is your summer schedule? IF you made it longer and not so much back and forth you can save some money....

The tax idea would work too....you would get the money back that way..maybe even every other year she would agree too...

I think you are right...she will be allowed to move but if you can get the tax break or shorten the trips but make the visits longer...(look into the new school calendar...maybe it is different there?)

Good luck!

crayiii

I get him for all school breaks and one additional weekend each month.  It works out to 2 visits each month.  For summer, he's with me for all of July and half of August.

The frequent contact is very importing (I think) and our son gets pretty upset when things happen and he misses his visit.

I get to claim him every other year right now so I'm asking for her year too.

I just feel so bad for my son.  In the last 3 years she has moved him from Oregon to Alaska to Washington and now to Vegas...

ocean

Then see if she will give you the tax break every year to off-set the plane tickets...IF not, then tell her you want to take it to court ask her to pay more of each ticket....but check the new school schedule...some schools there are year round schools....

Giggles

OR...he could ask for a reduction in CS based on the increased travel costs.  Most likely if this goes to court, SHE will be the one to incurr the additional costs because....but for the fact that SHE moved the additional costs would not happen!!!

Sounds to me like he needs to sit down and figure all the "variations" prior to speaking to the BM...then pick the one which is most reasonable.
Now I'm living....Just another day in Paradise!!

MixedBag

Military families move around alot too -- and the kids adjust for the most part.

I'm not a believer in a child can't move around....

But I would support that when the two parents are close geographically, that the child should stay when one parent moves away.

My daughters have moved from England, to WV, to AL and they did fine.