Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 03:24:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How long to get the order?

Started by gemini3, Sep 13, 2007, 08:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gemini3

We went to court two weeks ago, and my ex's attorney was supposed to draw up the order.  We still haven't gotten it.  Is there any sort of time limit on this sort of thing?  What's the hold up?

ocean

Depends on a lot of things....Lawyers move VERY slowly...
Call the lawyer up and ask for it or ask for a meeting. Make sure that there were no changes that you did not agree to in court and everything that you wanted was in there before you sign.

MixedBag

I found these types of guidelines in the civil procedures for our state's rules.

It's gonna be different for every state.

2 weeks really isn't that long.

But I'd keep in touch with the clerk's office to make sure you're given a copy of what's submitted to the judge and not ignored (particularly if you don't have an attorney).

EX#3 has waited over  a month after a hearing was done to get a signed order....

And I know others here have posted that they've waited even longer.

I think -- IMHO, o.k.? -- after a month, you should do something proactive.

annemichellesdad

Is everyone here referring to how it takes for an order to be signed? Or how it takes a SIGNED order to be received?

I know it can take a while sometime for an order to actually be drawn up and signed. But it is my understanding that, at least in the state of GA, once an order is signed, it MUST be served upon both parties within 30 days. In fact, if I read it correctly, the GA statute says that a failure of the judge to serve the losing party within 30 days constitutes an "impeachable act". Presumably, this is because notice of appeals must be filed within 30 days of the entry of the order, and failure of the judge to serve upon the losing party the final order jeapeordizes that party's opportunity for justice.

Anyone?

MixedBag

probably both.

In WV Civil Procedures -- the length of time are defined.

You'd be amazed at how long they are.