Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 03:38:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Teacher's Child Rape Excuse: ''I'm nuts!''

Started by Brent, Nov 30, 2004, 09:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent

Note that this excuse only works for female teachers, this will not, repeat NOT work as an excuse for male teachers. Debra Lafav, accused of raping a 14-year old boy, will apparently use an insanity defense.

When a female teacher rapes a student and then says, "It's because I'm nuts, your Honor", no one bats an eyelash and the consensus is that "she needs help". When a male teacher rapes a student and then says, "It's because I'm nuts, your Honor", no one buys it for a second.

Also, notice how this is spun as "having a sexual affair with a 14-year-old" instead of "raped a 14-year-old". Fascinating.

Former teacher to use insanity plea against charges of sex with student
an ABC Action News report 11/30/04

TAMPA - When a young Hillsborough County teacher was accused this summer of having a sexual affair with a 14-year-old student, many people's first reaction to the notorious case was, 'She's crazy.' Tuesday, Debra Lafave's attorney announced that his client would indeed be using an insanity defense.

Lafave, 23, is facing two charges of lewd and lascivious behavior. The former Greco Middle School teacher is accused of having sex with the student both at school and in a car driven by the student's cousin in Ocala.

The case has garnered international attention, but since turning herself in to police in June, Lafave has kept a low profile. She was ordered to appear at today's pre-trial hearing, but did not say anything.

In her place, attorney John Fitzgibbons told the judge that he planned to use an insanity defense.

"To give the court a sense of the case, I anticipate that in the near future, I will be filing a notice of insanity defense. There is some work being done by a doctor...we have accumulated medical records," he said.

Lafave's trial was originally scheduled for December 6, but Fitzgibbons requested a delay Tuesday. Prosecutors said the new defense tactic could push the trial back "a couple months," possibly into next summer.

Lafave also faces similar charges in Marion County.

Action News reporter Rob Spicker was in court and will have more details on Action News at Noon.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/stories/2004/11/041130lafave.shtml

MYSONSDAD

if she is still teaching. Is this a new concept on teaching skills? We read a lot about this crap. About once a year we get another one. How many are not reported?  You would think they would do back ground checks on anyone associated with children and their care. I read somewhere about school bus drivers, many out there with DUI's under their belt.

Hell, look what they do to dads...Evaluations up the a$$, Jump thru hoops and still get nowhere. Every small detail and lets not forget the onslaught of lies,  presented as evidence.

Brent

Note that this excuse only works for female teachers, this will not, repeat NOT work as an excuse for male teachers. Debra Lafav, accused of raping a 14-year old boy, will apparently use an insanity defense.

When a female teacher rapes a student and then says, "It's because I'm nuts, your Honor", no one bats an eyelash and the consensus is that "she needs help". When a male teacher rapes a student and then says, "It's because I'm nuts, your Honor", no one buys it for a second.

Also, notice how this is spun as "having a sexual affair with a 14-year-old" instead of "raped a 14-year-old". Fascinating.

Former teacher to use insanity plea against charges of sex with student
an ABC Action News report 11/30/04

TAMPA - When a young Hillsborough County teacher was accused this summer of having a sexual affair with a 14-year-old student, many people's first reaction to the notorious case was, 'She's crazy.' Tuesday, Debra Lafave's attorney announced that his client would indeed be using an insanity defense.

Lafave, 23, is facing two charges of lewd and lascivious behavior. The former Greco Middle School teacher is accused of having sex with the student both at school and in a car driven by the student's cousin in Ocala.

The case has garnered international attention, but since turning herself in to police in June, Lafave has kept a low profile. She was ordered to appear at today's pre-trial hearing, but did not say anything.

In her place, attorney John Fitzgibbons told the judge that he planned to use an insanity defense.

"To give the court a sense of the case, I anticipate that in the near future, I will be filing a notice of insanity defense. There is some work being done by a doctor...we have accumulated medical records," he said.

Lafave's trial was originally scheduled for December 6, but Fitzgibbons requested a delay Tuesday. Prosecutors said the new defense tactic could push the trial back "a couple months," possibly into next summer.

Lafave also faces similar charges in Marion County.

Action News reporter Rob Spicker was in court and will have more details on Action News at Noon.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/stories/2004/11/041130lafave.shtml

MYSONSDAD

if she is still teaching. Is this a new concept on teaching skills? We read a lot about this crap. About once a year we get another one. How many are not reported?  You would think they would do back ground checks on anyone associated with children and their care. I read somewhere about school bus drivers, many out there with DUI's under their belt.

Hell, look what they do to dads...Evaluations up the a$$, Jump thru hoops and still get nowhere. Every small detail and lets not forget the onslaught of lies,  presented as evidence.

Davy

MSNBC (?) interviewed the prosecuting attorney this morning apparently before the hearing.  Thus no mention of the 'we're all nuts to believe she's not nuts' defense.  

Perhaps I was hearing what I wanted to hear as the prosecutor exclaimed (in so many words) that he WOULD find jurors focused on the statues unbiased by gender adding that had this been a male teacher of the same age with a female student of the same age 'as the boy' that the news media would be all over this like flies on shit.  

Other commentary said the former model / former wife had heavy debt  and was now working in a bar at $10 per hour leaving it to the imagination of how she's reimbursing her attorney.

Peanutsdad

Actually,

How many are not reported?? We'll never know. Question is,, do you still consider it repugnant or a crime if it's not reported or charged?

To answer my own question, yes I do consider it such.

MYSONSDAD

It is a crime no matter what way you look at it. If the tables were reversed and a male teacher did this, where do you think he would be right now? Certainly not free and able to say 'I'm nuts!

My opinion only, I feel it is repugnant AND a crime, reported or not there is a victim out there.

Did I mention, repulsive, offensive, disgusting?

Makes no difference if your male or female, rape has the same devastating effect on either gender...

StPaulieGirl

I read this post earlier, and asked my bf if he ever had heard of something like this when he was in school.  Nope, and neither have I.  This behavior is so unnatural, and it makes me wonder what is happening in our society.  It's just absolutely unthinkable.

Ok fine, she's nuts.  Lock her up for life in the looney bin. Btw, found something even worse(?) to share.  I'll post it by itself....