Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 12:43:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

ADHD testing

Started by lovehiskids, Jan 12, 2004, 05:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lovehiskids

Dr D.

Do you know of ANY ADHD testing that would last for 10 days? BM is claiming OSS has to be tested. This sounds fishy to me.

She says it has something to do with Social Security Disablilty.

Dr. D

ADHD testing does not normally last 10 days NO.  However, several different tests may be done that are spread out.  Ask specifically WHAT tests are being performed.  Too often the "tests" are merely observations.  Neuropsych. testing DOES take a while, are more accurate, and may possibly be spread out over several days.  More importantly, interpreting the results takes longer.  What age child are we talking about?  I always HATE to see children get SSD benefits for ADHD.  Parents should support them at this age and for the most part ADD/ADHD does not require a lot more financially.  Keep me posted.
Dr. D

lovehiskids

SS is 8. He is a normal 8 year old boy. His teachers don't even believe he has ADHD. At parent-teacher conferences the teacher commented that SS did NOT need to be on ADHD meds because they interfere with his school work.

He was prescribed the meds at age 4 at his mom's request because he was "too hyper." She expected a 4 year old to sit and watch TV all day.

Thanks for your advice. We think she is trying to get him declaired disabled so she can collect more $$ from the gov't

Dr. D

When in Doubt Don't - medicate that is.  Sounds like you should follow your heart and gut.

You and your family will be in my thoughts.
Dr. D

lennar_girl

Just an FYI - we are fighting to keep BM, she is trying to get continued CS for the rest of SS life because he gets SSI from Bipolar.  He was over 19 when she made her claim.  She has nothing before his 18th birthday.  Her claim is that if the government thinks he is disabled, then we should pay her too from now on.  It gets bizarre, and you should do everything now to fight it or you will later.  You go get your own testing done, and get everything documented.  You just might need it later.

TX

ADHD testing that would last ten years? It sounds like it may be a routine yearly test that the doctor or school may conduct.

Oh, yes...ADHD is considered a disability and not only does our social security issue a good size chunk of a check to the parent of an ADHD child, the Federal governement issues a nice check to the schools that have "disabled" children enrolled. I was informed that 30 percent of the children in the school my stepson attended were "disabled" with ADHD. I found that amazing that so many children were being diagnosed with ADHD until I found out how much money the school and a parent gets. This was five years ago and since then more and more kids have been diagnosed. What I thought was even more interesting is how they still had my stepson enrolled when he never attended the last two years of school.  The counselors, the teachers, the administrative personnel,  the doctors, the pharmacist, the manufactors, the advertisters, ect ect...make a WHOLE lot of money on this ADHD. I'm just wondering when in the world are people going to wake up and realize what society is doing to our children. See ADHD matures into BiPolar and it lasts a lifetime..yeah another disability to blame for mood swings, depression and uncontrolled anger. The almighty answer is to prescribe a pill and if that one doesn't work find the one that does!  I also wonder if it can be considered a disability in the courts for the custodial parent to receive support payments as long as the "disabled" grown child lives with them!  Good luck!