Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 01:40:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Not at all about custody, but I need help FAST

Started by DMcD, Jun 25, 2005, 07:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc24

Don't call CPS unless you are sure there is abuse going on.  It is up to the parents to handle the child, and therefore they are the ones you need to contact if you want to express your feelings.  

I have read some stories that would make your skin crawl about how children are ripped away from their parents over nothing more than a false allegation, or a concerned neighbor who sincerely thought they were doing the right thing.  

If you don't want him at your house, you owe it to his family to let them know so they will have a chance to enforce that themselves without the state stepping in and disrupting everyone's lives.

JMHO...

catherine

But a sign of ODD isn't killing animals.  The basic signs of ODD are:

Children with ODD seem angrier than other children. They can:

Lose their tempers a few times a week or more
Argue with parents and other adults often
Break rules on purpose
Annoy people around them on purpose
Blame other people for their mistakes or bad behavior

Killing animals is a sign of a very serious personality disorder like a sociopath.

Edited to add - here is a link defining conduct disorder vs ODD

http://teenswithproblems.com/conduct_disorder.html

Also, what happened?  Did you approach the parents?

4honor

Do you have animal Control or a Humane Society in your area? Someone who takes care of cruelty to animals?  Call them and give all the information you can on the child and his home. They will take it from there.

Don't forget to tell them about the kitten he killed and the other one you rescued just in time from him.
A true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him...dear parents, please remember not to continue to fight because you hate your ex, but because you love your children.

gipsy

Well I was raised in the country . And we butchered Animals ,
  Of course as a child I wanted to help My dad , And I slit throats , Chopped the heads off chickens , And shot deer , Butchered them alll !!!!
    I'm Not A psychologyst My self , But I hardly know a boy from the country that didn't kill something . And I know of an Unliked Dog  or two that was chasing other peoplels live stock that met His demise ,
   I really think you need to separate the issues here ,
    When I was a boy We heard a cat had nine lives and could land on there feet , So a couple cats were thrown off the barn ,
  Then there was a cat that was stuck in a tree that we could in no way climb to rescue the cat and after three days or so we Removed it with out thirty caliber rifles ,
   Let me tell ya < I am not really a psycho . As a matter of fact have a huge respect for what guns do when they are pointed at a liveing thing . I certainly would not want any one < No matter what type of enemy they were to have there brains fly out like a butchered pig cow deer Or other wise , ,
  SOOO the psycho theory over killiong a cat is like < you guys are way out there ! . Instead of condemning the child over the issue I Suggest you try to figure out what the heck he was thinking , Was this like a One time thing ,
   I think the question is did he do it for pleasure ?
 And you will never find that answer by condemning him ,
Sometimes You all may see me as blunt or rude . BUT Before you all go into a drama about it , I would try to """ TALK''' to this child .
   I once ran over a chicken with My bike While chasing them around . And of course we hid the dead chicken
 Maybe there is some realistic explanation

4honor

We are not talking about a stray animal here. We are talking about a child who, for whatever reason, stole not one animal, but two, one of which ended up dead and in the garbage can. I can understand the idea of a child hiding an accidentally dead animal, but a normal child would then avoid all of the same kind of animal in fear of being caught.

I thought that the parents had been notified with negative results (not sure where I got that idea). The next step -- to protect the remaining animals would be to bring animal control into the picture (or whoever takes care of cruelty to animals)... especially if the child will not stay out of your yard.

When you have pets and you allow neighbors onto your property, you open yourself up to liability. Keep that kid away he is trouble in the making even if he is not a psycho in the making. If he acts inappropirately and your pet harms him in retaliation then you can be sued. Most insurance companies are cracking down on injuries from pets and it is possible that coverage could be excluded... do you want to be shelling out $15-20K on a kid who got knocked down by your dog? It happens.

And if you have not talked with the parents, do so. Tell them that you don't think their child is malicious, but since this appears to be his first experience with how to treat animals properly you would be willing to guide him through the process. However, they, being his parents, obviously deserved the first chance at the educational experience. Tell them that the animals are not reacting well to the boy's treatment of them and until he has shown he can behave responsibly around animals, that you would rather -- for his own protection -- that he not return to your yard.

Just a thought.
A true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him...dear parents, please remember not to continue to fight because you hate your ex, but because you love your children.

kitten

Wow, I remeber when you first posted about this.  Can hubby put him in counseling?

Lost in FL

I want to encourage you all to read the book " The Sociopath Next Door ". This book will give you insight to what your dealing with. The frog smashing that one person spoke of rang a bell with me, as I had read about a similar child in this book.