Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 02:23:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Target Child

Started by rainbow1, Jul 27, 2005, 11:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainbow1

What info can you direct me to about 1. Verbal abuse of child by step parent    2. target child syndrome - child refuses to be alienated from a parent and is verbally, emotionally, and physcologically punished for resisting  3. step parent goes to extremes showing favor to their own children in front of the target child. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dontunderstand

I am not sure I understand what you are asking?

rainbow1

I have seen the term "target child" used in a psychology paper. I can't find the paper. I thought you might know of books, articles, or studies done. The situation is one child in a family of consisting of mother, step-father, the oldest step-child, the target child, and three younger children, the mother and step-father's natural children.  The target child has refused to be alienated from her father, as the oldest daughter was. The step-father has verbally harrassed the target child so much for, so long that she stays in her room (hides is how she puts it) when he is home. The mother does not intervene and sometimes "joins in" in on the harrassment, especially if she is drinking. The target child is punished for things the step-father's children do. Example- Child cleaned her room, step-father's son trashed the room when the target child was outside playing. Step-father was in the next room and knew his son (3 year old)  was in his step-daughter's room. Child was grounded for one week for not having her room clean. When she spoke up and said her step-dad shouldn't have let his son in her room alone she was slapped in the face for talking back and grounded for an additional week.   Any ideas where I could find info?

BigFamily

Can someone say "physical abuse"?
Not saying to "give up" on finding information on "target children", but if the step-father, or the mother, is slapping your daughter in the face, then you should seriously think about calling Child Protective Services.
There is discipline, then there is abuse. Slapping a child in the face is way over the line, parent OR step-parent.

rainbow1

Our attorney is doing what she can. Child protective services doesn't want to hear about it if the child isn't in the hospital or sexually abused. Since our attorney's warning he is concentrating on verbal abuse. Child is scared of him and her mother. Afraid to tell how bad it is. After a four day weekend with her mom and step dad, started "cutting" on her arm. Will not talk to a counselor or therapist because the last time she did, the family therapist brought her mom in the room at the end and told her mom everything she had said.

Sunshine1

How old is the child?

rainbow1

Child just turned 12 a couple of months ago.

rainbow1

I found the info. It's #2949. Author & attorney Andrew Vachss has written articles and books on the subject if anyone else is interested.