Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 01:36:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Does anyone have knowledge or info on this syndrome?

Started by joni, Aug 22, 2005, 08:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joni

I once read that often a child is abused by the custodial parent because the child resembles the Ex spouse. This resemblance causes the custodial parent to be verbally and physically abusive to the child.

Does anyone has info on this or can find info on this? I'm having problems googling it and need the info by Tuesday to finish up our change of custody motion.

Thanks in advance for your help

dontunderstand

joni

The theory that a child of divorce is abused by one of the parents because of that child's strong resemblance to the other parent physically.  The abuser's anger and resentment of the other parent is so strong, they often beat the child because the child looks like the other parent.

rainbow1

I believe that you are talking about a form of "transference".

dontunderstand

I believe sunshine is right.  Check out this web site...

http://changingminds.org/explanations/behaviors/transference.htm

It is real and it happens more than anyone cares to discuss, it happened to me...

gemini3

Quote from: joni on Aug 23, 2005, 07:17:53 AM

The theory that a child of divorce is abused by one of the parents because of that child's strong resemblance to the other parent physically.  The abuser's anger and resentment of the other parent is so strong, they often beat the child because the child looks like the other parent.

There can be theory's about anything - it doesn't make them fact.  If a parent is abusing a child it isn't because the child looks like their ex.  That could possibly be a trigger, but not a cause.

tigger

The wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one!