Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 07:30:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Filing a complaint against the school

Started by Tiresias, Sep 13, 2004, 06:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiresias

I'm having some big issues with getting my daughters medical and school records. I've sent the appropriate letters to all and the medical ones I cant get, my attorney is handeling. My daughter by chance just happens to go to the same school that I did and they still know me there and I thought I wouldnt have any problem getting her records from them. Yes, I did send them the letter requesting the records, and I spoke to a person at the school that handles that also and told her what exactly what I wanted and she told me that she would send it.
  Now, I have letters from the CF that states that my daughter has had some disaplinarian problems in school and also some other things that should have been in her record, but when I got it, nothing but test scores and report cards were in it. Question...  what happens when I file a complaint against the school to FERPA about incomplete and inaccurate records?  What really happens or doesnt anything?  Has anyone ever had to do this before?
                                                     Ladybug3

MixedBag

When I went to my son's school -- I found out that there are two sets of records.

Each year when I sent a letter asking the new teacher to send me copies of his report cards, those letters went into a file in the counselor's office.  The other record just contained his report card and test scores and stuff.  Just like you described.

I recommend that you go "up the chain of command" and start asking questions that way about getting access to all the records.

File a complaint?

With whom?  

I'd again write letters to complain up the entire chain of command to the STATE board of Education.  

Otherwise, you have to file a civil law suit against the County Board of Education.

wendl

Go to the super of the district, provide them with copies of letters that you sent to the school etc, attach a copy of your divorce papers showing you have access to records, if they don't do anything advise them they will be hearing from our attorney in regards to this matter.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**