Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 08:55:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

at my last straw

Started by eeastridge, Mar 13, 2005, 12:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eeastridge

I am 28 years old with a 9 year old daughter. A year after my high school graduation I got pregnant. Her father and I stayed together for 4 years but never married. 2 years into the relationship he became physically and mentally abusive to me. I filed an injunction for domestic violence, went to court and represented myself. Scared to death, I dropped all charges and ended up back with him. 2 years later, the violence got worse. He tried to kill me by strangulation and tried to kill himself with shards of glass. He was baker acted and I finally left him. He never was abusive to our daughter so we verbally agreed on joint custody, she stayed with him on the weekends and he paid for child care. Until last year he started dropping her off more and stopped paying child care. This was fine with me until she started telling me many disturbing things. First she said that an adult couple was moving into her bedroom and is sharing her bunk bed. Next she was left unsupervised in the back yard trying to break up a pit-bull dog fight and was covered in blood. Then she told me he leaves her with strangers to go to his friend's house to drop off "smoke". Finally she told me her dad made her urinate in a cup. Come to find out he just got arrested for marijuana, burglary and driving on a suspended license. I assumed he was using her urine to pass a drug test!! I was livid! I confronted him he said she is lying. After some time I got it out of him that his girlfriend took her urine and he didn't know anything about it until now. His girlfriend had just been arrested for cocaine and prostitution. But my daughter said nothing about the girl she said "My dad took my pee and told me not to tell you" I had no money to hire an attorney so I called abuse hotlines, the police, DCF, child protective services and everyone said they had never heard of such a thing and didn't know if anything is illegal about it. And being that we were never married and never filed for custody I was left with unanswered questions. I refused to let him see her until he could admit what he has done and until he could provide a safe environment for her. His sister told me he has a $300 a day drug addition, so I continue to avoid his harassing calls, calling sometimes 30 times a day. He came to my home without my permission and harassed me. I filed another domestic violence injunction. I represented myself again and the judge ordered a No Trespassing Warrant and ordered a drug test. He passed!! Then his attorney ordered paternity and the case was dismissed. I didn't think to ask for temporary custody because I figured I'm the mother I have the rights. But sadly I don't. Days after, he takes her out of school. I explained the situation to the school and they said with out a court order he can take her whenever he wants to. I called the police and they said he has done nothing illegal. I finally got lucky and ran into an old friend that is an attorney. We got some paperwork drawn up and countered several times until we finally agreed to standard visitation and he'd pay minimum child support. I followed the agreement assuming it was active. A couple of months go by and I never received a signed agreement from him. Shortly after a different girlfriend of his (with a rap sheet of cocaine and prostitution) came by my house unannounced asking if she could take my daughter to dinner the next day. I was cordial to her only because I was caught off guard. I called her father and said she can go to dinner only of he signs the paperwork. He said he will never sign it until he gets her every weekend like he used to. I called my attorney and found out his attorney dropped the case and has turned it into the BAR and couldn't say why. Now I am waiting and hoping nothing happens. In the mean time I'm worried he will take her again and if I keep her from him I'm scared of what he may do. He is very verbally abusive to me and threatens me to watch my back. I feel he is a sociopath and I know he's on drugs and sells them. I can't do anything to protect my daughter without documentation of custody. I have been to women's resource centers and am only left with brochures and numbers to call that I've called before. I am at my last straw.

olanna

This guy sounds very dangerous. You need to file an ex-parte order with the courts, ASAP, and get the ball rolling to protect your daughter.

What state are you in? There are some very good resources on this board..check them out.

eeastridge

Thank you so much for your response.

I live in Florida. When I went to court, a woman from SPARC sat next to me for support. She was a GODSEND!! So I trust the information on this board will prove helpful, it has already. Since all this, it has been real hard to open up and share my experience.

When the attorneys drew up the paperwork for custody, we went back and forth. I finally signed an agreement (standard visitation – minimum support). I just wanted something in writing and then we would go from there. 3 months went by and I never received the signed paperwork. But we have followed through during the 3 months as if the paperwork was signed. (He has had her every other weekend, but has not paid child support.)

He denies everything and will not sign until I agree to joint custody. And now that his attorney dropped his case, I am waiting for a hearing.

This weekend is his turn to have her. I am afraid that something bad will happen if she doesn't go with him.

Will an ex-parte order work in a situation like this?

olanna

If you feel the child is in danger, (and a drug using, drug dealing parent would certainly qualify for a dangerous sitch), then I suggest you head to the courthouse and file that paperwork.

Best to you and your daughter.

And you are welcome for the response.

eeastridge

I just filed an emergency motion for temporary custody.

I will let you know what happens.

I cant thank you enough. :-)

olanna

Please keep us posted. I would like to know. And best to you and your child.

Olanna