Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 04:13:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I know this board doesn't get much activity...

Started by olanna, Jun 25, 2006, 11:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olanna

but I wanted to share something with all of those NCP Mom's out there, that have basically experienced poverty, and near homelessness or homelessness through no real fault of their own.

I don't really know why I feel compelled to tell this story, but I am.  I think most of all, those of us going through hard times, custody battles or whatever, need hope. I want to share with you something that will certainly help provide that.

Back in 1999, I was working as Network Engineer on a Y2K project, making about 180K a year.  Pretty wonderful money, no doubt. Well, my ex caught wind of it, and since he lost his job for stealing from his company, he decided to use the last of it to fight me in court for the youngest of our three children. I am sure, as I have been told, he viewed me as the cash cow.

The battle completely drained me of all my savings, and in the end, I found he had paid off the necessary people to win the case.  I was forced to send my son to an environment that was unhealthy.  I later found out that the perfect couple back in SC wasn't so perfect...

And my own marriage ended 3 weeks after sending my son back to SC, as my then husband met a girl online and took off to KY to meet her.  It was one of the most horrible times of my life.  

I ended up without any money, had to sell my house, and moved from place to place with my youngest son, wondering where it would all end.  

Finally in December 2004, a lady I knew offered me her home. I got into it with hardly a dime and no money down. It was a tiny little home of about 800 square feet, but it was a place to call home.  My son and I were elated. About 6 weeks after I moved in, Januaury 2005, I got a dream job with dream pay.  And by the summer of 2005, my son got on a plane and told his dad he couldn't take it anymore and came back out here to live with me.

None of this was easy. I constantly remained in contact as best I could...I snuck out to SC to see him without his Dad knowing...and I would mail letters to him, knowing that he often checked the mail before they got home, timing those deliveries to happen on weekdays.  I always remembered his birthday and holidays...no matter how broke I was...and even when I didn't hear from him for months on end, I still send those cards and letters...sent pictures of us, as well.

It all paid off. I want you to know that it can pay off for you, too.

And today I am in a brand new home...some 1800 square feet with my two youngest sons.  And I have a wonderful new man in my life, too.  

It can happen for you, as well.

;)

Hazel

Hi Olanna!

It's me Hazel from the old Dnet site.  I am so happy to hear your story, and that you're doing well.  I surely remember your plight back in the old days.

It's always darkest before the dawn... that sure is the truth!!!  :D

olanna

It has been a long hard road...bit it's over, for the most part..

How are you doing???? So good to hear from you!

apmama

Hey Olanna!

I haven't visited this site in over a year, and yours is the first post I see!  What wonderful news to hear from you.  I am so glad that things are going so well.  You perservered and came out on top.  Good for you!

e-mail me if you'd like to catch up.

Take care......apmama

olanna

I have thought about you no less that 50 times in the past week and here you are!

I bought a house in Btown and you have to come and see it!

I hope all is well with you..

Are you still with the same company?

apmama

Hi Again!

I would love to see your new house!

All is going well....very busy.

I'm still with the same company for now, but they merged with another huge company, so I'm sure lay-offs will be inevitable.  I think my job is safe, but we won't find out until the end of the year.

Guess what?  I'm a (step)grandma now.  OSD just visited last week with her 10 month old daughter who is absolutely adorable.

I'm going to try to search my e-mail inbox for your last e-mail for your e-mail addy.  Is it okay if I e-mail you some time?

Glad you have so many good things in your life, especially having your second oldest son back with you.

Take care.

olanna

:)

Try [email protected]

I would love to catch up with you, through email or over a good bottle of wine!