Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 07:29:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

why is father paying $1400 and ex wife only paying $100 a month?

Started by stepmom, Dec 05, 2003, 11:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stepmom

My husband went to jail for 6 months and gave gaurdianship to his mother. The state is asking for child support and my husband was told to pay $1400 and his ex wife is only paying $100 a month. I was wondering why that is? We live in Wyoming and his ex wife lives in Cali

Akroma

Is wyoming the state that is doing the child support order.

It is based off the the total income earned (or potential in your dh's case)

Then it is prorated based off what % each of the parents earned.  An example is below for you.

Dad was making $2000/month before Jail
Mom Made $500.00/month

Total income is $2500.00  The state has a table that says what amount of support should be paid for that income.

If support was set at $1000.  Then Dad would owe 80% or $800(dad's income/total income) of that and mom would owe 20% or $200.

Without getting into more specifics of the case I can't say why it is so drastic.  There should have been a Child support worksheet done for the order.  it should give you the break down.

norma

Why did your husband go to jail (was it related to this)? What do you mean by "he gave guardianship to his mother"? Do you mean that he terminated his parental rights or something else? Just want more info about your case before I answer.