Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 05:28:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Modify CS via friend of court?

Started by iammikem, Dec 28, 2005, 12:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iammikem

I've recently become unemployed and need to have my CS adjusted to reflect this change of income. I have been paying $815 per month via automatic payroll deduction. Now that I will be collecting unemployment what do I need to do to get this changed? Can I contact the ILLINOIS friend of the court office directly to have this adjusted? If so, how can I contact them? I am concerned with the court ordered amount and how do I get that changed without the need for an attourney.

Genie

it is going to take forever to get it changed and by then you will probably have a new job.  I have never heard the term "friend of court" but CS is done under the Department of Public Aid now.  You can call them and they will send you the paperwork.  I was told when I requested the paperwork to have my adult SD taken off, that the modification could take 6 mos to do.  In the meantime you still need to pay.  If you go this route, ask them if the modification will be backdated to the date of filing the paperwork.  Also, I doubt they will cut out all together. So you will need to find out if it is even possible to do.  I have found reducing b/c of loss of income is hard. They could go into you finding a job and proof and why did you loose your last job etc etc.  

Ask alot of questions before you decide to do this.  I would just try to pay what you can now and make it up later when you get a new job.  That is from my experiences in the past.  Others may have had better luck.