Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 17, 2024, 05:56:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Getting married - money implications.

Started by reflect, Jan 07, 2004, 04:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflect

Hello, a couple of questions. I'm going to be getting married soon and want to get some information about bank accounts, buying a house and tax forms. I don't want the custodial parent or the state to look at both incomes and raise support - it's already at over 50% of my gross income. My girlfriend has a descent job and can upt money down for a house, but do I want to remain off the papers for this? Also, should we file separately and not have a joint bank account? Basically, I don't want to get her pulled into this financially if I can help it.

wendl

I got married a little over a year ago,  what my dh and I did was.

1) NO joint accounts
2) neither one of us are signers on eachothers accounts
3) we file our taxes seperately
4) I had my house prior to getting married, however I did buy a new car, but I did it in my name only and didnt use him, his credit or his income to qualify for it

Depending on the state you live in most property is not considered community property prior to the marriage.

My dh and I did this because there is no reason bm needs to know my income or financial details (hell I have worked hard to have what I have and as a single mother I did this without childsupport) I have my own child to care for.