Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: NJ Family Support shows disregard for parents paying support for 14 years  (Read 1849 times)


  • Guest
           My husband has not recieved his payment booklet for child support since March 2003. I wrote 13 letters to the probation office along with the checks I sent in. Around the 6th letter I recieved a general response for the Probation officer stating the booklets were automated on a quarterly cycle. I continued writing letters stating had he looked into the matter or done the math he would see that we had missed more than one cycle. After leaving a message for his supervisor, I recieved a return phonecall. First he told me the probation office in question was new (he's been there more than 4 months). Then he proceeded to tell me they've had the system since 1989 and have always had problems with it. He stated that the system had "a mind of its own" and there was not much he could do. When he looked up the actually case, it had the wrong employer and address. My husband has owned his own business for more than a year before the child support order was in place. When I asked him how the orignal information had been changed, he told me that their system pulls info off other systems and they had no control over it. He informed me we were not the only ones who don't recieve our booklets and quite frankly the stubs were thrown out once they reached the office anyway. I said the booklets were promised to us when we were told to start paying support and regardless of what they did with them once they hit the office, they are materials to help the parent paying support ensure he was up to date with his payments and by not sending them, they were showing no interest in the supporter other than tossing them in jail if they did miss payments. We corrected the information and he told me there was still a good chance that the booklets would not get to us. He also said it was possible that in 6mos., a year, or 6 years they would just start back up. As far as I can tell this means for 14 years they've employed a system that they know doesn't work with no effort to remedy the situation. I haven't heard of any C.P.'s not recieving their checks on time, the problem only affects the parents paying support and nothing has been done about it. Is there something I can do, or someone I can call to have this system reconsidered? Is there anything in the legislation that guarentees the supporter help from these people or does the law only protect the C.P.'s?


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.