Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 04:12:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

can child support be ordered without legal custody being established

Started by john1, Jan 22, 2004, 01:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john1

I have a question can the friend of the court start child support proceedings prior to legal custody being established. me and my wide separated eight weeks ago she is staying at her parents house with my thirteen-year-old daughter. I get paperwork in the mail today that there was going to be a hearing over child support with the friend of the court on February 17. we're not legally separated or divorced in fact no proceedings have been initiated by either one of us. were talking about reconciliation at this point my wife tried to get insurance for my daughter that I would know about somewhere in this process she told them that she was living with her parents and somehow that's turned into this child support thing.

thank you for your help

kiddosmom

Yes she can, you may want to cover your but and file for divorce first, otherwise she will and you will be hosed.

Peanutsdad

If you have papers sent to you, then she HAS initiated proceedings...sorry.

hisliltulip

Peanutsdad,

Not necessarily.

County (MN) served DH with papers for CS before anyone filed for custody issue or the divorce.

In fact in the CS case, DH was respondent, but in divorce and child custody case, he was petitioner.

HOWEVER, as soon as he got those papers, he hired an attorney for the rest of the issues.

John1,
DO NOT SLEEP ON THIS ONE!

File now, whether you think there may be a reconciliation or not.   You have to get a temp custody order with you getting significant time with your child now, so that it doesn't jump up and get you later.

DH went from only seeing his son whenever BM found it convenient, to temp custody every other week, to having full custody with her getting visitation.

Please, file now if you can!

BETH