Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 04:14:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What is she required to pay for child support?

Started by henry70, Feb 16, 2004, 08:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

henry70

Hello everyone...heres the facts:

I live in NJ...my child has lived with me for the last 3-1/2 years(went for custody and won because she is a loon).  We were never married, only had one child together.  She was previously married for less than a year and has another child.  She recently got remarried(husband is rich and has 2 of his own kids that live with him).  She(rarely)sees the child every other weekend, usually less than 48 hours.  Since my child has been living with me, she has only paid $40.00/week and pays for nothing else(almost never on time either).  I have always taken care of my childs medical benefits.  Recently, those benefits increased dramatically.  I asked her if she would want to pick up the benefits through her work.  She agreed, but now doesnt want to pay child support.  Furthermore, she wants to alternate the years we each claim a child on our tax deduction.  

My question(s)...any idea what she should be paying, if she should be paying at all?  Does it matter if the childs benefits cost nothing or if there is a charge per week for these benefits?  Not sure what she makes(guessing around $10 to $15/hour).  I make about $35K/year.  I pay for everything except benefits.  Is this worth going to court to have her pay child support?  I think it might be, but I cant stand the courts either.  

Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated.

Henry

Peanutsdad

Henry,

So she is paying essentially 160. a month for one child. That is barely over the amount that would have been set for minimum wage ( somewhere between 115-175 depending on the judge).

While her new husbands income and assets would NOT be factored in, if her income has increased that much, you would likely get an increase .

Downside: If he is able to support her well, there is nothing to keep her from quitting her job and you land right back at minimum wage figures again. At best, you would still get an increase due to the court deciding she is voluntarily underemployed.

At worst, she decides to file for custody, and you get involved in a whole new custody fight. Be prepared for that one.

Good luck. I guess what I am saying here for you,, is yes you can probably get an increase, but you may also stir a sleeping dog who has substantial resources at her beck and call( her new hubby), and could possibly wind up back in court on a custody fight.

henry70

She is not paying any support now-stopped paying the $40.00/week in October.  She has shown no interest in going for custody, and I dont believe her husband would support her in a custody dispute-its only a matter of either not wanting to give money to me or trying to get the child tax credit for herself.

I truly believe she will always work-he will not support her in that way.  Plus(believe it or not), she STILL has her apartment(which I thought she moved out of last September when she moved in with her husband to be), which she stays in when things between her and her now husband arent working out.

Peanutsdad

LOL, go for it,, and inform CSE thats shes not paying.

oklahoma

I'm not much help, because we have always been forced to go through the courts--almost always because BM files for some reason or another.  But, here is my suggestion, if you have not already tried it.  Visit your state Child Support Calculator.  Enter the numbers you have or guess--maybe even plug in numbers for BM at minimum wage.  For our state, the CS calculator includes cost of insurance, child care, etc.  Explain to BM the amount the court would require her to pay--including consequences such as wage garnishment, withholding tax return for arrears, etc--and then see if she will agree to a reasonable amount outside of the courts.  And then if she agrees, and sticks to the agreement, work something out on the exemption.  Remember that the calculation of CS makes the assumption that the CP will claim the child on taxes.....

henry70

We never setup any payment plans through the courts when my child came to visit with me.  The only thing I had her sign was a document stating she would pay 40.00/week, get drug testing/alcohol testing every 6 months for 2 years(guess what...shes not doing that either).

MixedBag

And if you don't have a court order, do what Oklahoma said and crunch some numbers based on your state's guidelines.

She's required to pay what the judge ordered.

fathers 4 justice

One Child she has to pay 25% and sounds like she owes you alot of ARREARS! Look into colecting it asap,,,Jerry from LIY>

JenG99

The ONLY way she can claim the child is if she is paying at least 50% of his overall support which she most definitely is NOT. You need to file for CS through NJ child support enforcement. The order will go up and they will garnish her paychecks. The amount based on your figures will be roughly 300-400 per MONTH. Our BM NCP was just like this (also lives in NJ) she underestimated NJ child support enforcement and ended up getting arrested. Since being arrested she has paid on time.

If I were you I would just pay the insurance because the Judge will more than likely deny your request for her to cover it because she makes alot less money then you. Also in NJ your CS order will receive a deduction for the insurance that she pays. You are better off to just keep what is ordered in CS.

henry70

If we have to go to court for child support, should I get an attorney, or is it not required?