Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 11:06:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Changing Jurisdictions...GA to TN

Started by BehindBlueEyes, Feb 22, 2004, 11:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BehindBlueEyes

Does anyone know how to go about changing my jurisdiction from GA to TN?  The latest order was signed in GA in Dec.  Both parents now reside in TN.  NCP is behind in CS.  I don't want to have to travel back to GA to get things straightened out.  I would like to just have them handled by TN.  Is there a waiting period?  

Thanks.

MixedBag

Take a certified copy of the December order to DHR or whomever handles Child Support in TN.

Then also give them the current address of the NCP -- that ALSO lives in TN.

USUALLY the wait is 6 months before something can be changed for jurisdiction.  

BUT -- and I'm talking back in 1997 and not in either of the two states you deal with.   I moved and took my order to DHR before the 6 months were up because my EX stopped paying CS.  Neither one of us were living in the original jurisdiction and hadn't for years.  (difference there).

I convinced the state that neither one of us were moving BACK to original jurisdiction (England) and that my move to this state was permanent (as can be military) by buying my house.

She took it on -- and then wondered to herself (and me) how to get England to release the divorce and give it to Alabama.  She said "Well, we'll just take it to court and if he shows up, and doesn't argue the jurisdiction issue, then we can press on."

My EX showed and didn't argue jurisdiction issues.

Good luck --