Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 10:33:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Reasonble College Support

Started by LizaLou1, Feb 27, 2004, 04:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizaLou1

kiddosmom

Untill I knew the FACTS of what the situation was, I would send 1$ per vehicle insured,, does it state that the vehicles are the childrens?

LizaLou1

The insured is the BM, the kids are posted as "drivers".

oklahoma

On the outside, I read your post and say, "No way!"  My first reaction is stop paying if they are not full-time students.  I'd be requiring report cards to prove they are full-time students.  Of course, I also realize that I am not in the situation of actually dealing with so much animosity.  And I do not know what you may lose by being hard-nosed about finances and school.  We are still 7 years away from OSD going to college, and somehow I think when it comes down to it, we will be paying for most of it--despite what any laws or stipulated agreements may say.  

Next, car insurance is not a college expense.  I did not have a car and still managed to get a BS. (And my parents helped only a little my first year--I pad for the rest.)  All college students get a Financial Aid Award Letter--it includes cost for tuition and fees, food and housing, books and supplies, and personal expenses.  The Letter also deducts any scholarships and/or grants, giving you the grand total of "parental contribution." The school tells you exactly what the child needs to live as a college student.  That seems like a good number to go by if your SDs are full-time students....

Also, I know a few people, and have heard of lots more, who take their tuition money and turn it into play money.  One friend would register for classes, his parents paid the tuition directly to the school, he dropped the class, and was reimbursed the money his parents paid, which is why I suggested getting report cards.

It sounds as if you and your husband don't just lie down and take what is handed to you by BM.  Hang in there!