Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 16, 2024, 12:51:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

use of child support money??

Started by Detter D, Feb 29, 2004, 05:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Detter D

Does anyone know if there are any rules regarding what your ex
spends her child support money on?

Stephens Dad

In California, there are no rules on how the CS money is used.  This doesn't seem to fit into the "what's best for the child" however it does cut down on "needless accountability" of the custodial parent

nosonew

Not to my knowledge, and I have checked many a site.  

Our bm bought 4 properties she rents out (all bought with cs money), now has "losses" off of these properties that she gets to deduct from her gross income. Yeah, right.

wendl

well they really dont have to account how they spend the money. In some states you can request it but they dont have to provide receipts so they can say well xx is for rent xx is for food and a lot of other bs.

MSRP

Frustrating, isn't it, to not have a say in where your money is going, especially if your ex is like mine and not using the money wisely or on the kids.   I have tried, there is nothing you can do about what that money is spent on as long as the kids are somewhat being taken care of with it.  

patton

Texas passed a new law in September 2003.  I can't find the exact wording, but it basically stated that IF you pay over $700 a month in child support that you can request an accouting from the custodial parent for what the money is spent on.

If they do not provide it, it is contempt.  But it has to be in a court order after September 2003.

Davy

Finally...let me say it again ...FINALLY !!

Accountability has been a long time coming.  In the old days, it was common practice in the courts for a judge to raise the CS amount when a father filed a contempt motion (ie denial of visitation)...as an example.

The initial CS amount was determined by the judge asking "How much money do you want ma'am ?" followed by "Oh ...I think I'll just add $100 to that amount" as he would look at the father and smile.

MixedBag

I know there are CPs out there who try to LIVE on the CS they receive for the kids...

But I remember back 15 years ago when I did have to ARGUE for every dime in child support and that costs tons of money (where the attorney's got it all and not the kids), tons of aggrivation, tons of time, you name it.

I agree there was injustice in the old way of justifying every dime, and there is injustice in the present system too.

When a NCP thinks the CP isn't taking care of the kids properly, then it's probably the right thing to do....itemize and justify.

At least TX set a base level...

Davy

As a male CP the kids received ZERO support and the BM's income was about equal to my income.   A male CP suing for CS would have been laughable.

The only CS issue in my particular case was that I had to enter the Federal court system in order to pay CS ... BM did not want it so it could be said I was a 'deadbeat'.  The welfare of the kids did not matter.  

As a male NCP half of the support my 3 kids was to receive went to support BM's boyfriend/husband 2 kids and the other half went to his alcohol consumption.  This was proved-up in dispositions in a parental termination case brought by boyfriend's ex.

While your particular circumstance may be an exception and in agreement that there are many responsible female CP's ... in general  the major discontent for many men is the certain lack of accountability required of women just because they are women and MEN DO WANT TO SUPPORT THEIR CHILDREN.

All children will benefit with accountability and I have no idea (except female opposition) why a base amount would be set...makes no sense.

kiddosmom

I agree with all of the others, although as Davy said their are SOME responcible female CP's (I have recently been able to talk with some of those) Alot, like the BM in our case made it a point to tell DH that the $$ he gave her went to take out her bf and buy everyone living in her home cigerettes.

hatewelfare

Break down of child support...

Needed materal items:
Cigs, Cell phones, pagers, beer, drugs

Store shopping trips:
Herbergers, JCPenney, GAP

Bills:
Car payment, credit card bills, lawyer bills(for asking for more CS), house payment

Services:
Nails & hair cuts, tanning, nanny, baby sitter, liposuction

Food:
McDonalds

BehindBlueEyes

I would be happy to have to be accountable for what I spend the child support I receive on.

I receive....$60 a week in child support for 1 child.

Before & After school care so I can work....$47 a week.
School lunch....$2/day....$10 per week...that's if she eats at school.  The majority of the time I pack her lunch.
Extra-curricular activities...this week we had soccer sign ups.  $70 for registration & needed equipment.
I bought her new shoes this week to wear with her spring dresses...$10.
Not to mention....utilities, clothing, food, housing, etc....hard to come up with an exact amount on those sorts of things but I could if necessary I'm sure. And I don't buy my child "THE BEST" of everything.  I buy store (generic) brands, we buy clothes at Wal-Mart or Target.  At her age I don't see the need to spend a lot of money on clothes that will be outgrown in 6 mos.

You add all that up & split it in half & it comes to way more than $60 a week.  He makes $350 a week + commissions (last week...$900).  

I would be happy to be accountable for what I spend the child support I receive on. For the pasty 7 weeks I've received $0 in child support.  Pretty easy to be accountable for nothing.

I wish my ex were more like my boyfriend.  He pays his diligently every week no matter if he has to put other bills off or not.  So, I know there are good dads out there.  Wish my daughter could be so lucky!

stepmomtwo1

My sd was pulled out of public school because she was flunking every subject but art and the ex is homeschooling her (the blind leading the blind) and the county superintended office said she has turned in nothing for homeschooling except for the order and most likely sd is just sitting on her butt at home.
     So with no school fees and so much less to pay for now sd can get a few more body piercings with our money (she got the 4 she has when she was 14).Lets face it we have no say in anything. Hand over the money and everything will be fine. Sounds like robbery to me.

Peanutsdad

As the NCP,, I watched my ex buy everything for everyone EXCEPT my daughter,, I watched my daughter wear clothes too small, and her mother wear brand new hip hugger jeans, ( and THERES a woman who definately SHOULDNT wear hiphuggers), I watched her go into the convenience store during pick up and drop off and buy herself , her bf, and a room mate brand name smokes.

As CP, I can easily account for cs. I have received none, even tho its ordered.

richiejay

As NCP I was paying her $175/week when my boy was 1 year old (and spent 60% of time with me)....as CP, I of course get $100/week when he is just about to  turn 10(and she makes twice what I made back then).  Can you say gender-bias?!

LizaLou1

I'm the first to admit child support obligations can be biased in favor of woman and it makes me sick what some people do (or don't do) with their children's support.  But....

If we limit the topic to just housing, just what formula would any of you suggest using to substantiate such an expense to a NCP.

Do you divide the monthly mortgage/rent, insurance, property tax, maintenance, and utilities by the number of people living in the house?

Should adults be weighted heavier than children in such an equation.

How much weight should be given to the fact you only have a bigger house (more bedrooms) in the best school district because your kids need it but you wouldn't without them?

I'm all ears (eyes).

LizaLou

leon

not so sure how it goes in other states but in Alaska there is no acountability at all as to where or what the money is spent on.

fathers 4 justice

In all Actuality you have no say what she spends the Money on. the system doesnt allow the fathers to question where it is spent.