Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 03:26:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How to file for increasing child support

Started by Stephens Dad, Mar 12, 2004, 03:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephens Dad

How do we file for increasing child support without going to court.  The bio-dad has not been involved and at this point we don't want to open the door by going to court to ask for the increase and allow him to start visitation.  He hasn't seen her since she was 2 and she is six now and accepts me as her dad.  

I've heard you can file with the DA (we're in the Los Angeles Court, CA) and in about 6 to 12 months they will increase the CS amount accordingly, where can I get more info?

Ok, now the hard part: I'm also paying CS for my son and because it was gone up and we can barely make ends meet, so we are considering this action.  I know the bio-dad and have a working relationship with him in a large organization, so I won't run into him much.  But as a dad who has been "through" the system and knowing how he will react, my first thought is to call him and let him know it's coming.

Any suggestions on this?

thanks

john

nosonew

Well, I think it is admirable to inform him prior, however, a few thoughts.

As a mother who has a good working relationship with biodad, (ex), I talked to him on the phone and discussed incomes, and we both looked on the cs guideline worksheets online to decide appropriate amt of cs. Then I worked with him, lowering it slightly to help me out financially and him out financially.  So he is actually paying less than what the courts would say and more than he had been.

That being said, my son saw his dad as frequently as possible, and still does.  So, depending on your relationship, it may work to discuss all of this, and like I did, agree to something, and make it legal, by your attorney, thus you pay all of his fee for the legal paperwork (which I did).

Are you equipped mentally to handle him becoming involved in the childs life if that is what happens?  

Why do you think it would increase?  If your wife is now a SAHM, they may include YOUR income to base it off of. (or at the very least minimum wage at 40 hrs/week- or her last income base)  Research all the facts first. Is he making more money?  Is it enough to warrant this?

Think hard before you make a decision.  Best of luck.

Peanutsdad

shrug, its a double edged sword as you well know. Ask for more money, expect him to excercise visitation.

If biodad isnt excercising his vistation, and is a harm to a child, count your blessings and go on.

You arent giving much info to go on here.

Why isnt biodad excercising visitation?

Does mom work?