Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 17, 2024, 10:16:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What else can we do?

Started by PalomaChavez, Apr 01, 2004, 12:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PalomaChavez

My husband has been trying to get his Child Support modified because he lost his job and now is making less than what he was making before,the first time he called CS was to tell them about his situation; that was back in October of 2002 when he was fired but he qualified for Unemployment  because they thought he was let go unfairly,Child Support  told him that they couldnt do anything because 3 yrs hadn't passed yet so they couldn't review his case and just to make whatever payments he could until he found a job. About 2 weeks ago we received a letter from CS saying that he was eligible so a  modification could be made. He called CS in Florida and they told him that his case had already been reviewed in March of 2003 and now they couldn't review his case or he wasn't eligible for a modification because he had left his last job,now the reason he left was for a better paying job. Well either way they say that his case can't be reviewed until Oct of this year,my question is well if his case was reviewed in March of 2003 why didnt they check anything or called him because it should have shown that he wasn't working at the time, but now that he calls they tell him that they can't review the case because it has been reviewed. Any thoughts or advices would greatly be appreciated.

MixedBag

Stop calling.  

You need to figure out how to file for the CS review yourself -- or write DHR and state that there has been a "significant change in circumstances" that warrants a CS review.

And work through your local CS office and let them work with FL.

Then keep after them about once a month to see what's going on.

DHR will willingly look at CS yep, usually only every three years.  But your argument becomes that FL didn't even contact you and actively involve you or use current information.

WRITE!!!  Certified letters...

KaysMom

I know in NY, CSE can only take care of cost of living adjustments, and those they review every two years.  Any request for modification of CS (which is what you're after) must be filed with the family court.  You should be able to file for that on your own.

wendl

well my dh's cs was set in 2001 in 2002 he was laid off, he was going to try to modify thru the cs office but they are slooooowwww so he filed a motion for modification due to loss of his job, he ended up getting his cs reduced by 150 a month, then in 2003 his ex got cs increased due to him finding employement.

In most cases you can request a modification due to extenuating (sp) circumstances