Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 17, 2024, 11:12:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Child Support as income

Started by derberwil, Mar 10, 2004, 11:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derberwil

My girlfriend recently filed for child support even though I was already paying all the bills for the care of our 7 month old.  She did this to get back at me for not marrying her (I never said I would) and for seeking joint physical custody.  In a preliminary hearing they ordered me to pay her an amount equal to 1/3 of my take home pay every two weeks.  When I told them that as I had been paying for everything before and the amount came no where near that amount, the hearing officer only said, well that is the guideline and there is nothing you can do except appeal it, and in the mean time you must start paying.  My ex-girlfriend knows the real costs but she is now trying to soak me for child support to use as her own personal income.  Is there any movement to address clear problems in the guidelines and make them more realistic and less punitive? I live in Pennsylvania.  I can now understand why some men just quit their jobs.

I cry_ in_the_dark

I'm not trying to be snide here, but go read my post in Socrateaser's forum. As you'll see, I'm in PA. as well.

Maybe then you'll be thankful that they are only taking 1/3 of your paycheck.

Then, go to this site:
http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/data/vol33/33-50/2353.html

Then, write to Patricia Miles to get Recommendation 67 passed!!!

Feel free to mail or message me if you'd like further information.

fathers 4 justice

It is a good question. But, it is your child and whatever you should pay it is your obligation as a Father. Find out if she works and earns a decent wage. If she makes more than you then you can file for a MODIFICATION adjustment. Get a good lawyer. if you cant afford one go to legal aid or the bar association where they work at a cheaper rate. DON'T GO INTO COURT WITHOUT KNOWING THE SYSTEM AND LAWS! GET A LAWYER AND FIGHT IT!
JERRY FROM LI,N.Y.

derberwil

thanks for the info.  I'm definately going to read thru it and contact Ms. Miles.  Is there a father's rights organization in PA?

derberwil

I realize that it is my son and I need to support him financially.  As I noted in my post, I had been paying all his bills prior to her filing.  Fortunately, I have just been awarded joint physical and legal custody so that will change teh forced support greatly.  I'm still interested in this as an issue though, because there are many men who just get hosed.

I cry_ in_the_dark

http://pfcr.childrensjustice.org/index.htm

Please go check out this site, and join!

wendl

Welcome to being a ncp, at least you arent required to pay medical insurance and daycare on top of it, hell my dh pays with cs, med, etc almost $1k

my3sons

I live in MD.  The courts here go strictly by some guidelines that were written years ago, with NO deviation.  I pay $1388 every month for child support, plus cover medical, PLUS split any medical/dental that isn't coverd by insurance 50/50 with ex, PLUS I have to buy them clothes and shoes all the time because BM doesn't and I don't want my boys walking around looking in rags.  

All this while BM only works part time, goes to college full-time (for 3 years now) and is a volunteer at not one, but 2 rescue squads!  But hey, it's not in the "best interest of the child" for my kids to be with me.  

GO FIGURE