Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 03:43:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Accounting for child support payments

Started by Emmy, Jun 30, 2004, 09:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutsdad

>Thanks for the advice.  My brother has not yet signed the
>custody papers.  As for writing into the papers a schedule
>that increases over time - how do you convince the court to
>accept this suggestion?

By using the law against the court and opposing counsel. Ever here of equal opportunity? No discrimination based on sex??

http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/pplan3.htm

Is there a legal argument for it?  Is
>it based on the idea that as the children get older they won't
>be as dependent on their mom to be the "primary caregiver"?

Calling mom the primary caregiver is fine,, provided she WAS. BUT indicating that MOM should be primary simply BECAUSE shes mom,, is sexual discrimination.
>
>

stepmom74

Hi.

I don't know if all states do this but in ND there is a document you can sign that states that your child support can be evaluated and raised or lowered every three years.  My husband was told by his lawyer that he had to sign it in order to see his daughter.  That was the worst thing he could have done.  

The state decides every three years, based on your income, if you can pay more or less support.  The BM doesn't even know about it until it is done.  If your income increases, you can bet they will increase your support.  If you have any more children, they also increase the support, which made no sense to us.  Everytime we thought we were getting out of the hole, Child support would get doubled on us.  It's awful.  We have never had it work to our advantage.  We had the BM even say she didn't want anymore and they still raised it!  

We found out some time later that his lawyer jerked us around and my husband didn't need to sign it at all.  It's an option but we were never told that.

Just be sure that your brother doesn't get sucked into this trap too.  Like I said, I don't know if all states have something along those lines but if he is told to sign anything like it, tell him don't!!

Hope this helps,

stepmom74