Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 01:19:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wage garnishment

Started by cwoolco, Jul 22, 2004, 01:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwoolco

My boyfriend has a fulltime job and has 1/2 of his check garnished for current and back child support. He makes under $800 a month (before taxes).  He recently obtained a second part time job so he can make ends meet. 1/2 of those wages are being garnished as well. We live in Texas. Is that standard procedure?? When he was sued for child support they went according to his $1300 a month salary. Is there a standard percentage they take out for back child support or does that depend on how much he owes?? Seems to me that they are taking the maximum allowed because I know it can't be no more than 50%.  We are thinking about filing a motion to amend those original orders. What steps do we take. Should we bother even calling the attorney general??  Getting an attorney is our next option but we want to know what we can do on our own before we go that final route.      

Peanutsdad

You need an attorney. Period.

He should have filed for a downward modification when he was no longer making better money.

Yes, they WILL take up to 50% of his income.

Any chance you are in the Dallas area?

cwoolco

Yes I live in the Dallas area. Thanks for the info.

Bolivar OH

Your luck is changing.  Peanutsdad is a regular who has been through hell.  In other words "he knows the ropes". He is also from Texas.

good luck!!

Peanutsdad

Since you are in Dallas...

B.J. Thompson. 972-726-0535.

She'll at least give you a free initial consult.

Tell her Robert sent you.