Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 03:29:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Who pays who?

Started by retro80zkids, Aug 15, 2004, 08:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro80zkids

My ex and I have 50/50 custody - physical and legal.  She just got remarried.  The state I live in says that in our case, they take my income and then subtract her income and whoever makes more pays the 25% for the two kids.  Now my question is, she is remarried.  I am engaged and will be remarried.  Her and her husbands combined income will be more than mine and my soon to be wifes combined income.  I am not asking for child support but I also dont think I should have to pay it.  BTW, I have the kids from Monday mornings until thursday evenings.  Do they count sleep time when figuring out percentages of time with each parent???  It seems unfair for me to pay child support for her to have a nice three day weekend with the kids.  (she is off on fridays)  Sorry if that was blunt but its how i feel.  Plus I was told that there was a case law named jackson vs jackson that said that we could use the new spouses income to show it was helping pay bills.  How does that work?

Peanutsdad

Depends on what state.

Texas doesnt input a new spouses income into the equations. Thus, here, your situation would be unchanged.

retro80zkids

But will they take into consideration how he helps pay bills.  Will they take into consideration she just made $40,000 off the sale of a home???

Peanutsdad

Any income SHE makes will be considered,, some jurisdictions consider the sale of a home a one time lump and dont consider it unless there is an arrearage owed.

What he pays wont make a tinkers damn in court.

retro80zkids

Man that just sucks!  Im sorry, I will be completely honest here.  I have the kids mondays thru thursdays.  I bust my butt running around taking them to school and getting things done (which i might add, i may be bitching about it but i wouldnt want it to change!) and because of some dumb law that says because I make more, I should pay her!  Oh My God!  I make about 500 more than her.  Does this make sense???  Am I the only one that thinks that this sucks???  You would think in a joint case like this that SOME judge out there would say, sounds kinda even to me!!!!  I mean she is remarried!!!!!  

ok venting over!  I feel better!

Peanutsdad

LOL, no you dont, but thats ok too.

Look at it this way,, at least shes not marrying some shiftless piece of crud who wont work and then wants you to pay more so you can support his lazy butt also.

There's always worse things out there.

Kitty C.

That's why you contact your state legislators and get the laws CHANGED.  What you need on your state guidelines is to have time spent with each parent taken into consideration as well.  If there IS anything in your state guidelines that has to do with time spent, then you can file for modification based on the kids are now spending more time with you, hence you cannot afford that amount in CS since you're taking care of them so much in your own home.  Be warned, tho.  If you ever make that argument, guaranteed the ex will either petition for more time (but would need a 'significant change of circumstance' to prove it) or just deny you time with the kids.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

jilly

My DH is NCP to both his children.  This probably isn't going to sound right but here goes! LOL
I would be furious if my income was considered when determining how much he pays in child support.  I did not give birth to those children. I had no part in the decision making process (or lack thereof!) to create these children. The only reason they are a part of my life is because I fell in love with their Dad and, should we divorce, I would have no legal rights or obligations to them.  I have no legal rights or obligations to them now.
I know this sounds like I dislike children...or more specifically, my stepchildren...but that is not the case. I just don't believe I should have to pay (anymore than I already do financially and emotionally) because he used bad judgment about who to have children with.

OK...I'm off to paint a target on my back now! LOL

Kitty C.

Cuz I feel the same way!  DH spends enough on DS and I spend enough on SS, and neither one of us has any legal rights to each other's child.  DH and PBFH made that child and it is THEIR responsibility......PBFH certainly doesn't want me to have any anyway!  And until DS's dad died, we kept the cost of DS's upbringing just between his father and I.  Now with his survivor benefits, that continues.  DH is no more financially responsible for DS's braces than I am for SS's school supplies and extra-curricular activities.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

jilly

Why thank ya Ms. Kitty! :D

Ya know it's harder for em to hit 2 running targets! LOL