Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 20, 2024, 02:59:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Child Support / Medical Coverage... Lori???

Started by IceMountain, Sep 07, 2004, 05:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IceMountain

My child support order in Iowa requires me to carry medical insurance on my son.  Do I have to cover him under my personal policy, or can my wife cover him under her's without encountering a problem??

I'm concerned because I received a deduction on my child support because my health insurance with my past employer was so high.  (I've since switched employers)  My wife just got a really good job with excellent benefits and better insurance.  I just want to make sure I'm 'legal' in having him coverred under her insurance.

Thanks,
IM

MixedBag

I too carry coverage on all the kids -- whether they are mine or my steps...

Ask Soc this one...

I think I remember what he once said, but ask him.

And when you do, post the exact words of your decree.

Kitty C.

To tell you the truth, if it's more economical for your wife to carry the ins., I can't see how the court could fault you.  DH only have to pay half of PBFH's premium, which is included in his CS amount.  But I am the ins. provider in our family, I carry ALL of it, so if DH were required to provide coverage, it would be thru MY ins. carrier.  I have yet to hear a court force someone to use a higher priced carrier if another was available, even thru a spouse.

As it is, we'll find out in a couple years if this is true.  I also have dental that finally offers some halfway decent ortho coverage....and I think PBFH has very little dental coverage.  So the last time we had open enrollment for dental (very rare), I added SS to ours, hoping to have him better covered if/when he needs braces.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......