Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 17, 2024, 08:17:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

SSDI and Support Payments

Started by sad stepmother, Oct 09, 2004, 10:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sad stepmother

Hi all,  

I have a question that no one seems be able to answer.  Perhaps someone here might.

My husband has been seriously ill since last fall and He applied for Social Security Disability Income benefits back in May.  We believe that he will be granted the SSDI.  We know that SSDI will pay a child support obligation but here's the catch, we recently discovered that my husband's ex is already receiving SSDI herself for a mental health condition and that the child is already receiving an allowance from her benefits.  Does anyone know what will happen as far as the child support payments go when my husband's SSDI benefits begin? Being that both parents are disabled? What do you think?

KAT

Hmmm, it goes by state so it's hard to say. In some states they actually ADD the daughter's check (from your husbands case) to HIS income...yup, that's right. THEN they go about the stupid math to come up with his obligation...which isn't necessarily going to be covered 100% by the daughter's check so he could still end up paying the ex out of his SSDI (does this make sense..?? hahaha I have a headache). Did Mommy Dearest notify your husband that the daughter was getting a check? I betcha' there was to be some sort of c/s offset for it....
I have no idea on how they would do the SSDI payment to the daughter now that both parents are disabled...sorry. Maybe someone else knows.

KAT