Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 12:56:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CS & rights termination

Started by kelly, Oct 12, 2004, 09:00:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelly

If a fathers rights are terminated, is he still responsible for CS?

Kitty C.

NO...unless the child is adopted by a step-parent.  A parent can have parental right staken away, but that does NOT relieve them of the RESPONSIBILITY.

Only if a step-parent is willing to adopt and take over the financial responsibilty will a court suspend CS to a bio-parent.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

KAT

Actually, this would depend on the state. I believe that there are currently 15 states that when rights are terminated, the obligation of support is also terminated.

This would be in addition to what Kitty stated on adoption.

I also want to clear up something that seems to be going around on many boards lately & that is the generalized statement that an NCP can not motion to terminate parental rights. This is not true...certainly not in VA. The forms are even on line. In addition, both parents can agree to terminate parental rights, which along with it the child support goes bye, bye. However, in order for a judge to consider it, without a step adoption, the plantiff (and/or both parties if agreed) would have to have a really good valid reasons. The state after all has to have someone to go back on should the need for welfare arrise.

Friends of mine are just gearing up here to to try to do so because of extreme PAS... We'll see how far it gets. I know that there was one case here in VA where the 16 year old daughter told the judge she never wanted to see her father again. The judge said fine, but you aren't seeing his money either. Hopefully this will make case law....Mr. or Mrs. PASing parent just might thing twice before doing so if it interferes with the tax free cash flow.

KAT

Kitty C.

Good Lord!  Here this was staring us all in the face and we never recognized it!  I almost feel like a fool!  Mommy Dearest wants Daddy's money but NOT his presence, turns on the PAS campaign to turn the kiddos against him, then Dad petitions for termination based on that, including cutting the purse strings.  If they don't want him, they don't get his money, either!

I wholeheartedly agree, Kat!  If a precedence or case law can be made for this, what a difference it could make!

Got any idea what specific case this was?  Or where I could find it?
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

kelly

I just want to make sure that EVERYTHING  is terminated that way later the "well I have been paying" all this time arises I can say NO WAY everything has been terminated.

kitten

Can I ask why you want his rights terminated?

kelly

My husband would like to adopt

KAT

If there is an adoption then your husband becomes the child's legal father. There is a new birth certificate issued & that is that. Once the child is 18 however, in most states the adoption can be reversed by adult adoption without the consent of the adoptive father..but that's way in the future, just thought I'd put it out there. Sometimes when the child goes looking for their biological parent, there is a very different story to tell though, be very careful.  Okay, onward:   Depending on your state & the age of the child there might be a home study done by social services & the judge might request to meet with all parties. Do note that adoptions can be denied & everyone ordered into counseling. You seem angry. I don't know the circumstances but there is a chance that a judge could see this as well. Focus on the best interest of the cihld & not revenge on the ex. I'm trying to say this as nice as possible. Every second you waste being angry & thinking about *that person* is another minute lost out of your life. It's so not worth!!!!
KAT

KAT

It hasn't been filed yet. Dad is pro se' so I'm not sure when he's going to be ready. It's pretty bad. I met him on another board & he is local here. I don't think he'd have a problem with me giving out the basics.

Married 12 years Mom decides to start partying with newly single friends (I swear this is where they get the crap from). Finds a boyfriend & stays with him several weekends in a row.  Dad gets mad moves out (bad move...by usually typical right?). Divorce, no mention of abuse.

Kids now 15 & 13. This started last year. Dad would show up for visitation, no one home. T-day they only went with Dad for a 2 hour visition to g-parents. Xmas was suppose to be Dads visitation but they only agreed to come for a few hours to see relatives. New Years day was Dads visitation but when he called the older teen said "You didn't get me an Xbox you loser, never call me again". Dad files contempt. Mediation (mandatory here) Mommy Dearest agrees to continue standard EOW visitation. Two months go by, not home, not answering the phone. I guess it was in May that the messages started. "Bob (yup, using Dad's first name) you beat me when I was little so I never want to see you again." (no, that was your mother!) "Bob, Mom wants to move us near our g-parents, you will let her do it since we don't want to see you anymore". "Don't call here anymore I hate you." Other messages requesting money (YUP!!) and when Dad didn't call back they got just hateful & full of "Adult Speak".

Contempt filed again, everyone ordered into counseling. You know how hard it is to get those reports...but according to the couselor, the boys no longer feel they have a father since he left the family home.... Now, I've been wondering about this for a LONG TIME. You know how you ARE NOT suppose to say anything BAD about the other parent? Well how the heck are you suppose to do that when the other parent is doing it? If we don't tell the truth the kids will believe the other parent...sheezzzz. Is it better to just sit there & take it like a down trodden putz???

Child support & alimony has almost destroyed him. He is working up the papers & taking them to a lawyer for legal review. I guess it's wait & see.

Personally I feel the other case won because the daughter was 16, working & therefore supplementing the family income. So I have my doubts on this case as we both know that judges rule in the best interest of the children...and as long as they are financially supported who cares about them seeing & being influenced by the other parent right?

*sigh*

KAT

VeronicaGia

You have to have valid reasons, not just "someone else wants to adopt."

Is your ex remarried?  What if his new wife wants to adopt?  Does he then have the right to try to terminate your rights?  Of course not.