Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 17, 2024, 08:31:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What does "in-kind" contributions mean

Started by pickupsticks, Nov 11, 2004, 02:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickupsticks

One of the deviations my state will take into consideration when calculating child support is IN-Kind contributions of either parent. What does that mean? Do I take in all of my receipts to show how muchh I have spent in clothing and school supplies ?

FLMom

"In kind" payment are payments that are made by purchasing a necessary item for a child.

In my case I kept every receipt for everything I bought for our children. Some things, like meals out and travel expenses are not allowed, but things such as clothes, shoes, haircuts, classroom expenses, etc are. You should check with your lawyer to see what is allowed and what is not.

If you choose this route instead of a direct support payment you should be prepared to show every receipt, no matter how small, of everything you have taken care of.

BTW, consider yourself OHHHHH so lucky that you live in a state that allows this kind of payment into consideration!

FLMom

It means the money amount that you spent on a NECESSARY item for your child that went directly to your child and did not go to the ex.

Clothes, shoes, haircuts, etc can be considered "in kind" Meals out and travel expenses cannot.

Lucky you that it counts for something in your state!

pickupsticks

Thank you so much for responding. I have looked everywhere and can not find any definition for my state on this at all. How frustrating is that? I even bought a stupid book over the internet and it doesn't have it either.  I will contact a lawyer. They simply cost so darn much for a question.  What if my wife bought a few things on her credit card because I was out of money at the time. I later paid for them but she bought them at the time.....do they look at that?

KAT

I thought it was stuff that would have to be paid if the parties were still together such as insurance, union dues, student loan payments ect... Maybe that's included too? Not sure. VA makes it a point of stating that there is a "built in* deduction from the child support for expenses during the NCP's parenting time (yeah? LIKE WHERE?). Sheezzz.
KAT

FLMom

I believe things like insurance and student loan items are covered in the state worksheets allowable deductions. "In kind" is a little different.

Here's my example: Ex and I had no concrete judgement worked out for CS, but I was the one who bought coats, shoes, school clothes, special needs items for school activities, geez, I could go on and on.
When ex claimed that I had paid no CS, I agreed that no, I hadn't "paid" him anything BUT I had made "in kind" payments to the children. I had a file for medical, for school activities, for special occasion, for toiletries, for clothes, and a misc. file.

Although ex didn't like not recieving the $$ directly it did prove that I had "paid" CS. Now he receives it directly.

If there's an order in place I don't think you can just decide to make in kind payments. I wish it could be that way, though, because once the CP (in my case and I know not all CP's are like this) got the $$ directly all I hear is "I need new shoes" and "I need XXX for school" and "I need $$ for my class project" and now I don't have it to give to them. Note--it's not that I don't WANT to--I DON'T have it. Ex does, but he's already spent the $$ on useless junk for his collections. That's why I wish the NCP could at least do some payments "in kind", with the provision that they keep the receipts and prove what they've done.

Sorry for the rant. I just hurt this week trying to explain to my kids why I can't do stuff for them, and it just irks me to high heaven to HAVE to say "maybe you could ask your dad?".