Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 03:27:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Court order who pays college tuition?

Started by pickupsticks, Nov 13, 2004, 01:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickupsticks

I was young when I was divorced and obviously naive. This is what my court order states:
Husband agrees to pay one-half of the expenses of a college education for said CHILD,including tuition,books,room,board,transportation and usual matriculation fees for a period of four years. The term "college" shall include any college,university or undergraduate technical or professional school.

Questions
1) Why does it say FATHER everywhere else but here is says "husband" I am not her husband anymore so does that mean I do not have to pay this? I'm sure that's not the case. I do want to pay it but not to my ex
2) Will my ex have to pay half as well and what if our child receives scholarships...does that come off of her half or the total?
3) Who will I pay the money to...My ex or the school?

jolawanda

difference. For instance in NJ a NCP canNOT be forced to pay half of college AND continue with CS.
I would file a notice of motion if I were you and get it more detailed to what you think.

such as, the adult child has to maintain such and such a grade average.

such as, you receive the report cards and status on a quarterly basis to prove the kid is still in college and the GPA.

what school loans/ grants and scholarships have they applied for and what they received.

AND that you do pay the SCHOOL and not the X.

Good luck, that is such a crock to me and such a bone of contention!

joni

I would think your expense would be figured after a school scholarship comes off of the top.  

It was probably a typo referring to husband instead of father, so I don't think that's a contendable formality.

It doesn't say your Ex doesn't have to pay the other half.  Just that you have to pay half.

I would pay the tuition 1/2 to the school directly.  Then I would pay my child a monthly stipend based on receipts that my child presented to me. I wouldn't pay my ex a thing.  Your kid is now an adult, start dealing with your child directly.  

Many colleges give a school credit card to buy meals.  You can ask to see the bill for that so you know that half.  If they're a freshman, they'll probably be living on campus so you can get a bill for that fee as well.

Beyond that, you probably also have to provide a monthly cash allowance for incidentals.  So you and YOUR CHILD, can decided on what your 1/2 would be.

KAT

You keep saying young & dumb...so when & what state? You might have an out but we need to know more details.
However, in MOST cases, payment comes into it after everything has been applied for...scholarships, student loans ect.
This certainly needs to be clarified & I wouldn't pay diddly until it has been. I mean, what the heck, so your kid decides to go to college 6 years afer high school? Then what eh?
Where do you live because I have this need to come thump you on head sir!! :) *joking*
Regards;
KAT
PS, Mr. KAT doesn't have to worry about that. Biotrolled loved them right into 8th grade educations and criminal records ONLY. 303 days & counting!! :)

stepmomtwo1

Urrrgggghhh. Yep another ploy to keep getting money from the "husband" and I'm sure there is no way out of it. I would make sure the ex has to pay the other half and you only pay half of what the tuition is after scholorship money other wise your just paying more tword her half.

I'm glad my sd is lame and her mom pulled her from school. She won't even graduate high school let alone further her education. But dh's divorce says he only pays until graduation or 18 which ever comes last. And that my dear is only 9 months away! YEAH!

jolawanda

is that IF he has to pay the half that the order states then, HIS income should be included in the Family contribution portion of the college expenses that way, the ADULT child will be forced and approved to take out um......SCHOOL LOANS for the EDUCATION they are choosing to undertake! sheesh that just makes my damn blood boil!