Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 11:48:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Where do I find the calculations for travel?

Started by pickupsticks, Dec 02, 2004, 11:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickupsticks

I live in Georgia and a modification of child support is underway. This state will deviate from 20%  of income with extraordinary travel expenses.   I travel 13,679 miles per  year to see my child. I have kept all the receipts for gas however I want to know where I can find a calculation for the fact that my car has depreciated more because of the added miles so I will need to by a car sooner as well as tires will come sooner etc.  Does anyone know how I can show the total cost of my expenses for such extensive travel? Thanks so much!!!!

shawneetears

I am not from Georgia so I am not really sure what they would consider "extraordianry travel expenses" but in luie of actuall receipts to show the cost and frequency of such expenses you might turn to the federal tax vehicle exemptions for travel as guidlines....or those of your state if they are available.....  usually it is a set amount...  around $00.26 per mile and covers gas and upkeep of the vehicle....it is probably going to be better if you have actual receipts but at least that will give you a ballpark figure that the court should (IMHO) find reasonable....  (because you are going by a standard amount not one pulled out of a  hat).  As I said, I am not positive and I am not an attorney but at least it's a place to start. :)

wish you all the best life has to offer!  :)

MixedBag

The calculations are not in the law for any state.

The judge determines CS.

Then you prove your travel expenses.

And the judge decides if and how much to reduce your monthly obligation.

Check the latest mileage figures used by the IRS (more like .37 cents per mile) for use of a vehicle for self-employment.