Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 05:48:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Layoff or pay reduction impacts

Started by sauerkraut, Jan 21, 2005, 06:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauerkraut

I have been paying child support in Illinois for over six years now.  The BM was making well over six figures, significantly more than me, when it was set.  She had a live-in Nanny and her mother taking care of my son--I ended up paying both the percentage of my income and half the costs of her live-in Nanny.  
     A year later she quit her job and has not worked in the last three years--no more Nanny, and moved to a less swanky place closer to me.
     I saw the writing on the wall two years ago for loss of my job or reduction at my site.  My job is very specific and technical(not software), maybe only two places in the US I could obtain the pay I do here--then I cannot see my son.
     I have absolutely no savings (0 retirement), almost no equity in my house, not married, and not young.  What happens if I loose my job?  I have been taking classes in the last two years for a career change, but initially it wont pay near what I make now.  
From what I read, there is no remedy--just jail and maybe work release.
thanks--SK

wendl

After 9/11 by dh was laid off from work, he went back to court and was awarded a child support reduction due to his lower pay (unemployment) as their  were no jobs in his line of work at that time.  His cs was reduced by around $150 a month.

SO it never hurts to try and get the cs reduction due to loosing a job which was out of your control.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**