Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 12:57:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Will the IRS keep it?

Started by reagantrooper, Jan 31, 2005, 06:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reagantrooper

Does anyone know how to find out if the IRS will keep any refund? In November the NH CSEA said I owed over $5K in areares and reported it to the IRS. I disproved this rather easy with the state and have the state audit to prove it.

After the NH CSEA cleared things up, they said that they would let the FEDS know and I should be OK. Well I of course dont trust them. Before I file and let them keep any refund I may have coming (how ever small it will be) I need to find out if the IRS is planning on intercepting any refund associaed with my SS#.

So can someone point me in the right direction? I am thinking I should just be able to pick up the phone and call the IRS and ask.

wendl

Usually IF the tax return is intercepted for arrears, they will mail those monies to the cs office your case is thru. Then hopefully IF this happens, the cs will do the right thing and mail it to you.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**

raf

Last tax season someone posted an 800 number you could call, then enter your SS# and it would tell you if your refund was being targeted. Can't find it right now, but will look harder tomorrow. Maybe someone else has it to post.

patton

You can call the Financial Management Service of the Department of Treasury at 1-800-304-3107 to find out if your tax refund will be intercepted.

If you did not file an Injured Spouse claim with your tax return and your tax refund was intercepted, you have six years to file an Injured Spouseclaim and get back your portion of the tax refund.

jilly

They normally send a letter telling you that they're going to intercept your tax return.

reagantrooper

Thanks for the number!