Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 20, 2024, 05:44:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Legal Action Against Child Support Enforcement?

Started by FESCSteve, Feb 16, 2005, 02:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FESCSteve

>If your income fluctuates because of bonuses and such, then
>your withholding could be set so you always owe taxes. Why not
>make this adjustment on your W-4 in order to avoid this
>frustration every year?
>
>
I would rather try and fix the problem instead of applying a 'bandaid' fix.

The simple matter is that I should not have to do anything.  It's a relatively simple matter for them to fix their accounting system - put a simple indicator into the system/spreadsheet, etc. that says the NCP's payments are through income assignment and are not subject to a tax offset.  

It's not that hard, they know this is happening, why should (potentially) thousands of NCPs be made to configure their taxes where they always owe?  And don't forget that many of them are poor and cannot always come up with a variable tax liability at the end of the year.

I would also expect that if they don't get their tax offset, they could adjust my tax liability seeing how they have access to the tax comissions system and can make adjustments.

Maybe I am just being paranoid, but I think you ask anyone who has had to be on both ends of child support in Oklahoma (NCP and CP) they are probably just as paranoid as I.

raf

I suggested fixing your W-4 in order for you to avoid the obvious frustration you are dealing with every year at tax time. Like I said, the state likes the money. They will not fix the system. You can only take care of you. They don't care about you or the other thousands in their system. YOU can't fix the system either; you can only cut your losses.

They cannot adjust your tax liablity concerning your W-4.  I used to have large deductions so I would end up getting large refunds. I did not want this to happen. Why should I give an interest free loan to the federal government???? So I followed IRS regs and upped my exemptions to 20. They did send me a form letter questioning this, and then I filled out the form and showed how I qualified for so many exemptions. End of story.

You are right: it would not be hard for them to fix the system. Problem is, they have ZERO incentive to do so!

Good Luck

Troubledmom

Victoria Harrison (405) 522-0032 ~ The contact person for the Oklahoma Customer Service Quality Improvement Process

This person may not be able to solve your problem but may get the ball rolling.

The other thing that I would suggest is STOP calling and start doing everything in writing. When you write make sure you tell them the time frame you wish a response. If you have your caseworkers name and which office the case worker is working out of you can always send the letter certified return reciept requested to prove SOMEONE at the office got the letter.

You will not have much of a leg to stand on without writen proof you have attempted to remedy the problem prior to seeking litigation.

JMO
TM