Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 24, 2024, 04:16:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fiance getting screwed by many states

Started by chihuahua, Mar 08, 2005, 03:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chihuahua

OK.....Where to start and I do need your help.My fiance was divorced in TN back in 1997.He was ordered shortly after to pay 150.00 a week in child support.Well the ex got remarried to a military man 6 months after and has relocated many times in many states and 1 country.(Germany)He had to go to court in NY and that judged yelled and said NO its 150.00 a month.Well now here we are and MO sends a letter and says he is 33,000.00 in the arrears.Not to mention 2 are biological and 1 he adopted when he was married to her.(Its her kid)My fiance has made several attempts to get this remodified but apparently she beat him to it or they would write and tell him it hasn't been long enough.NY tells us that he is paid up and actually has a "credit"(wow a credit from NY) but MO says no way and wants us to send them the paper work.Im confused on all this and right now we definatly can not afford an attorney.Legal aide was nice and told him he makes "to much" on unemployment for them to help.????????????Kinda screwy , huh.Please help me in any way.
Thank You kindly.

MixedBag

Military here too...retired though.

Dirvorce was in TN.  

Why did he appear in court in NY?

Where does he live now?

chihuahua

He appeared in NY court because at the time he said the hell with paying her and the only way one would listen is to have them come get you. Well they told him to appear and he did. He explained to the judge that he was suppose to pay 150.00 a week that's when the judge yelled at him and said no he can only inforce what's in front of him and it's 150.00 a month. He asked if he had a problem with that. Of course he was delighted.So MO wanted him in NY court as that's where he was living. He has lived here in NY since his divorce as all his family is around here. Apparently because he was here first his ex couldn't do much with NY. I think that's why she has so many other states involved due to her moving so much. I thank you for all your support.

rini

hello

there are a few things that apply to jurisdiction of a child support order.

first of all when did the ex move from MO?

and did the ex keep MO as her home state when they relocated?

if the ex moved from MO then it possibly lost jurisdiction to NY and NY is the state that controls the child support order.

first your dh must gather all the information that he needs to prove that NY is the state that holds jurisdiction over him in regards to child support.

my advice is to gather all the necessary information and then post to socrateaser in his required format to ask his professional advice.