Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 04:19:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Legal Action against Child Support Agency

Started by chiquito2005, Mar 27, 2005, 06:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiquito2005

For the last five years, I have been going through an incredible ordeal with the child support enforcement unit of this county. It seems as words cannot describe the incredible financial hardship and human suffering they caused on my life by their actions or inactions on many fronts: withholding more than 75% of my income for several months until I went to great lengths to make them realize the error, ruining my credit by sending to credit bureau erroneous information that I owe more than $ 50,000 only to discover that I owe nothing later, and many many more. I am totally devastated and at the end of my rope with that agency. I feel so powerless, as a simple citizen, against this government agency and the coercive power it has to cause enormous financial hardship and infringe upon many of my rights.

Am I really that powerless? I am seriously contemplating bringing legal action against the child support enforcement unit. Can I do it? Am I out of my mind to even think about taking that agency to court? What are the precedents in this area? Can you refer me to some case laws? Please give me any insight. Thank you so much for your help.

KAT

Yes you can. I realzie Lawmoe said not likely but I KNOW differently. There was a pretty good case in Illinois not too long ago..Laird I think the name was....Anyway, if more people would sue them more often for their mistakes it would likely prevent them from happening (as often).

What state are you in?

KAT

KAT

http://www.fathersforlife.org/famlaw/laird.htm

I'll see if I can find other case law when I get some free time.

KAT

chiquito2005

Kat, thank you, thank you and thank you again.

There are a lot of similarities with my case... this is the kind of insight I seek. Please see if you can find some more as you mentioned.  I am in New York.  I am scheduling a consultation with a tort lawyer to discuss my complaints and later perform a cost and bebefit analysis of suing the agency that has caused so much damaged in my life. Thank you.

doxie2mom

Thought I was the only one.  I am new to this site.  My first post.  I am a NC/Stepmom who has been fighting 2 States.  Arkansas and Oklahoma.  I have begged 2 different lawyers to get it straightened out, but I am the only one that has come up with any paperwork.  My husband also has erroneous credit report showing $31,000+  The oldest son turned 18 last September.  The Child Support office sent HIM a letter showing the son was emancipated, but they are still showing full amount of payments due!  It is all a big mess and I, too, feel powerless and helpless.  Husband was in bad car wreck 01/04 and now has right leg amputation, had to hire lawyer for Disability, checks just started in February, so now it is a bigger mess, trying to straighten it all out.  Husband being dragged to court from Arkansas to Oklahoma every 3-6 months when he was working and paying child support!!!!  

Good luck to you!  I hope it all works out.