Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 06:52:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Child Support in a savings account

Started by Springsagain, Apr 22, 2005, 09:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Springsagain

My Fiances' ex is trying to tell him that he should not only pay for his child support but Half of all clothing and Childcare cost. When he asked her what she did with the Child Support she was receiving she told him that she puts it in a savings account for the children for when they grow up. Although she does purchase clothes with some of the money,for the female child. She wants him to purchase all clothing for their male child out of his own money. It was my understanding when I got my divorce that Child Support was to help the Custodial parent to pay for these things. She is saying that if he does not pay these things then she is going to take him to court.  He is a great Dad and until recently (due to a schedule change at work) he was picking the Children up from school 3 days a week because her schedule was such that she could not. He has never missed a payment. He takes the kids anytime she ask. He buys them clothes (for Birthdays and Christmas) and sends them to her house and never keeps them at his place. I see him going above the call of duty on a regular basis. I guess my question is am I wrong in suggesting to him that if she wants to go back to court for him doing what the divorce decree reads then go talk to a lawyer.  Has anyone else experienced things like this? I am just looking for someone to campare with. I feel like I am being hard on her, but I dont want to see my Fiance get walked all over either.

Kitty C.

Let her take him to court.......and I suggest you go along, just for the laughs.......so that he can watch her make an absolute fool of herself!  CS IS for day-to-day living expenses, NOT for putting in a savings acct.  So if she threatens court, have your fiance tell her that if that's the only way she thinks she's going to get satisfaction, then so be it.  BUT if she loses, he will request she pay ALL legal fees (hers AND his) and court costs.  

And don't forget to add the costs of your time off work, etc., since she filed a frivilous motion and is wasting your and the court's time.

Just might make her back up and re-think the issue.........
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

ocean

Child support covers the clothes. If he stopped picking them up and she now needs childcare after school you will probably pay a percentage of that.  (make sure it is a licenced place and you can get a tax credit for any payments you make).  Most schools now have an aftercare program in the district. You can call and find out. If not, there is usually a daycare center that they can be bussed to. I can not believe she said she is putting it all in savings. It isgood to hear that she is thinking of the future but she needs to use some of it now! Good luck!

KAT

That's a bunch of crappola. Like many CP's they think that the NCP should give them their entire paycheck then work an extra job to pay them MORE...and if that's not enough how about selling every last thing they have?? Cause no matter what the NCP does, it's not enough because I'm the CP & I have *THE POWER*.
 Have him start documenting when he picks up the children from school even if it's only on a calander. Then when she stupidly files for an increase cause she's *saving it* have him file for joint custody. She ain't saving nothing. She just feels he should pay ALL the bills, the kids AND hers.
Went thru this *saving it* with the ex's ex. Yeah, my ex kept paying her the same amount even after 2 turned 18 but didn't go to court cause she was *saving it* for college expense for the children. Yeah, right. When it came time to pay since only the youngest went to college she said " I don't have it, HE didn't pay ENOUGH" Yeah, almost half a mill...and where they lived, that kind of support was NOT warrented.
KAT

Troubledmom

The term "child support" covers all the economic necessities of life required by a child. These necessities include, but are not limited to, food, clothing, shelter, education, medical care, and other day-to-day expenses.

In many states the daycare expenses are seperate from the child support award and qualify for a seperate order or a larger amount than a guideline support order to cover child care expences. Same with certain medical costs.

But for certain food, shelter and clothing are covered under the child support orders.

If possible get the other parent to put into writing that she is "saving" the child support or check your states recording laws and get her to state on tape that she is "saving" the child support.

By getting it on tape or in writing you have evidence that she has financial resources available that I will just about gaurantee you she has will omit from her financial declaration if or when she goes for an increase in child support.

TM