Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: POLL - How much are you overpaying your CS by? Here's' the real numbers.....  (Read 7042 times)


  • Sr. Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 1011
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
This information can be found on this document


To recap, for 2004 the government says the costs for a single parent to raise one child is as follows.  This amount includes housing, food, transportation, clothing, health care, education and a miscellaneous amount.

0-2 years old -                   $5,860

3-5 years old -                    $6,640

6-8 years old -                     $7,460

9-11 years old -                    $6,930

12-14 years old -                  $7,420

15-17 -                  $8,180

Now, before you compare your number, in theory, reduce the above amount by the % of the custodial parents salary compared to yours.  For example, if both you and your Ex make the exact same amount of money per year, you would reduce the above amount by 50%.  Compare that reduced amount by the amount you pay for child support (do not include work related, court ordered child care).  This above amount also includes medical!

In our instance, we are paying DOUBLE what the government says our portion is to raise my SD.


  • Sr. Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 1730
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Very Interesting, great post! (NM)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 08:25:56 AM »

"Children learn what they live"


  • Guest
I too have done this same research and find it horrifying to think that for a child that my husband did not even know had been conceived (until one month prior to the birth) that he could be handed a bill for $175, 000 of the childs upbringing (despite the fact that the "average" cost of raising a child is specified as being $178,000). Once again I ask why are the rights of the father (and the family they choose to have) taken away as a result of a selfish woman such as the one we (and so many of you ) seem to be dealing with?????


  • Guest
sooo, the check I got in April, for $7.77 for my 6yo, means I'm receiving $3,000 more then I should?


  • Global Moderator
  • SuperHero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3049
  • Karma: 155
  • That's Me...MixedBag
    • View Profile
    • http://www.doilyboutique.com
No, you did the math wrong.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 05:27:31 PM »
Take the amount for a "6 year old" and multiply that by your percentage of income (like if the income split was 50/50, you should provide half of that figure).

Then take what the NCP is supposed to cover and divide by 12....


  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 169
  • Karma: 1
    • View Profile
Just a Thought
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 07:54:34 PM »
Just a thought, but if you calculated the support based on these figures, it would be better to calculate on the precentage of time the child is in each home rather than the actual income of the parents. Rather than basing it on the income of the parents.



  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 630
  • Karma: 56
  • Been hanging out since 1998... I think.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 09:36:35 PM »
So even with having a (reduced) deviation from guideline, we are paying the major share. BM makes about $17 a month more than DH, but for CS purposes they are ordered at 50/50 of $600 a month CS + medical insurance.

DH pays $62 a month for medical insurance on top of his $300 a month CS. BM pays $31 in medical bills a month (first $372 a year) toward SS's bills before she can come after DH for half of unpaid... and since she can't seem to keep receipts or records, she can't seem to get to $372 a year.

So $662 a month X 12 months = $7944. SS is 14. Should take $7420/yr... $3710 is DH's share and he pays $3972. That leaves $3448 for BM. DH is paying 115% of what he should be paying. But hey, we are getting closer to the end for CS. SS is not likely to make it to graduation and will turn 18 early in his senior year.

Don't think I won't have the CS modification papers on the judge's desk on November 2, 2008 if he has dropped out of high school... very likely as his mother has promised him he can when he turns 16.

A true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him...dear parents, please remember not to continue to fight because you hate your ex, but because you love your children.


  • Guest
RE: Hmmmm...
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 03:51:05 PM »
Count yourself lucky that it is only 115% ...in the years of 6-8 we paid $54,000 in CS ....according to my math, that comes to 200% of the cost. Yes the mother was making a tidy little profit while we generated a period of three months that we could not pay our mortgage!


  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 54
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Hmmmm...
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 11:43:32 AM »
It just makes me glad that we only have four more months to support a woman who just decided to sell Avon last year and that is her first job she has had in 20 years! We work full time but too soon our money will be all ours again and dh can finally take his big hunting trip he's wanted for years. He leaves two weeks after sd turns 18.:)


  • Guest
Well it's nice to actually see the #s to know that I'm getting less than what I should.  According to this formula he should be paying about 4365 of the 6930 because he makes more $$ than me.  Parenting time is not split 50/50 because of the 3 hr distance between the 2 of us.  When he pays his support I should receive $2400 a year according the the amount set forth by the courts. Almost 1/2 of what this formula says he should be paying.  Gee, I feel much better.  :-\  So far for 2005 I've received $120 plus $20 towards arrears which are now at  $1890.  


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.